Family's first python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePup

Not so new Member
Reaction score
My daughter's best friend received a Children's Python from her Dad for Christmas. Me, I reckon Dad's awesome. Her Mum does NOT like snakes and doesn't agree. After a couple of months, the daughter got a bit 'Meh' of it too. So, yesterday, my "No snakes as pets" wife agreed to allow us to re-home him :D (We say "Him", we don't actually know though...)

This is "Snakey" (I didn't name him...) on my wife's arm, she's quickly become pretty calm with him, even letting him set up in a hide in the folds of her PJs in front of TV last night.

Snakey.jpg

I estimate him as 6 months, based on her receiving him for Christmas, and figuring about 2 months at the time. He's around 35cm and weighed in at 15 grams today. When he was given, they were told "Feed him geckos" :shock: Of course for a single Mum and Daughter this was easier said than done, and he wouldn't eat mice. Some time spent in the home of the local Reptile Guru sorted him out and he's now eating fuzzies. He apparently ate a couple of weeks ago, so I offered one up today, but he didn't seem hungry. Not a big deal yet, I'll try again midweek.

We also got the enclosure with him, a little 30 x 30 x 30cm Exo-Terra Mini.

cage.jpg

Does the job for now, and being in NT I'm told he won't need additional heating, since we're in his natural climate. I'm considering a small heat lamp for when air conditioners are running though (Not so often for the next 6 months or so now). The biggest issue is that I'm moving south at the end of the year, likely ACT or SA. Starting pretty much now I'm going to work towards a timber enclosure for heat retention, and start getting the heating equipment and thermostat(s) we'll need for the cooler climate. I'm thinking a dimming thermostat on a heat lamp or two and a mat on a PCM thermostat on the base in a 70 x 40 x 40 or so enclosure for when he's grown a little. I'll slowly work that out as I go. As soon as I know where we're heading I need to look at licensing and import / export permits too, since there's no licensing for these guys up here.

Thanks for this community, just through lurking and the search function I've picked up a lot of information. It's good to know there's helpful folks here if needed. I've also got the local reptile guy, as well as a couple of guys at work I know breed pythons whom can likely give advice if needed. :) Hopefully this guy can have a good home for many, many years to come. Now once he hits 2 I need to convince wife we need a second to breed. Then of course a BHP, I LOVE those guys. And a jungle. And Diamond.... ;)

Very similar to how we got our first snake. One of my workmates' father was wanting to get rid of his bredli. Once we agreed, it turned out he gave it to us, wanting it to go to a good home. Now we have pythons, dragons, skinks, geckos and monitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back