Fan heat light ? Pro vs con

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by bumble, Apr 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bumble

bumble Not so new Member

Just wondering if anyone has seen or used fan heat lights ? The one I am looking at is a reptile one brand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Beans

Beans Guest

Can't say I have heard of those

3. Varanoidea

Varanoidea Well-Known Member

What are you housing? Either way they are fairly pointless and you can get something much more reliable like a simple globe and cage for the same price.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  4. animal805

animal805 Well-Known Member

Coffs Harbour, New South Wales, Australia
    They make it very hard to get a good temp gradiant.

5. bumble

bumble Not so new Member

Sorry let me add more , I want it for a bit of air flow , and the heat globe is just a bonus , I have been been looking for small fan and I can't seem to find anything that size

6. Snowman

Snowman Guest

I'd say con. As in you've been conned if you buy one. Those things suck (and blow).

7. AllThingsReptile

AllThingsReptile Very Well-Known Member

If you just want a small fan, take apart an old desktop computer, usually theres a small black fan at the back, simply unscrew it and take it out.
    I have done this many times when i was younger just for something to do, the fans run off a very low voltage (i used to use a 9v battery) and are pretty powerful for their size

8. bumble

bumble Not so new Member

Thats a awesome idea , thank you ..

9. AllThingsReptile

AllThingsReptile Very Well-Known Member

no worries! :)

10. saximus

saximus Almost Legendary

There should be no reason to use a fan of any kind. As someone mentioned, you completely lose your heat gradient. You also destroy humidity. It's a terrible idea

11. Fan lights are, for the reasons Snowy has pointed out, are the most pointless invention designed to extract money from new keepers. You can also buy computer fans from Dick Smith's or Jaycar in a range of different sizes - I use them in my big incubator.

Jamie

12. Varanoidea

Varanoidea Well-Known Member

Where is your enclosure located? Assuming you have ventilation on both sides of the enclosure and they are open to the outside air you don't need a fan.

13. rockethead

rockethead Active Member

yer I have a 50 watt one waste of money I don't use it tried it and it makes a bit of noise and my python looks freaked out by it

14. Bart70

Bart70 Well-Known Member

.......I cannot see any point to one for reptile keeping - all the logical reasons supporting this are mentioned above by people with far more experience and knowledge than I.

I am unsure why they would even contemplate marketing such an item when it flies in the face of how a proper enclosure should be set up with gradients for the animal to regulate itself......Oh, thats right.....Money!

Unsure why you would want a put a fan in a reptile enclosure.......

15. Rogue5861

Rogue5861 Very Well-Known Member

Best suited to raising poultry not reptiles, these things are just another useless item marketed for reptiles.

Rick

16. bumble

bumble Not so new Member

All I want it for is air flow . I have a decent size enclosure in the lounge room corner . It has vents top on one side , bottom on other side , grill up top has been blocked off by me to keep heat in as I had issues holding temps when the thermo switched the heat light off .
    Like I said early all I want it for is a bit of air flow cause don't believe there is much if any
    as I am cleaning inside enclosure once a month as there is a stale smell if I don't and daily spot cleans off poo . Yes some of you will say I am doing it too much but it doesn't bother me , I am just trying to keep things clean and healthy as I can.
    Ok back on track , general vibe is waste of money , so then the next question is , is it just me or is the stale / off smell a normal thing with pythons ? And yes my first snake so smells are all new to me.

17. Bart70

Bart70 Well-Known Member

My concern with 'airflow' is that unless it is a natural thermal airflow (ie - using vertically positioned air vents and allowing the heat in the enclosure to naturally 'draw' ventilation, rather than fan forcing it) all you are going to achieve is a uniform temperature across the enclosure (ie - no heat gradient) which would not be ideal for a reptile.

Same principle applies to my poultry incubators.....If we find we are getting 'cool' spots in a non fan forced incubator, we addd a fan to push the warm air into every corner of the unit so that the temperature is the same in every part of it. My belief is that this is what you will achieve by adding fans to a reptile enclosure.

I think you are probably likely to cause more grief for yourself than you are going to fix by fan forcing a reptile enclosure. In terms of smells - all my enclosures have some degree of smell to them. I have never been able to 100% remove odours from my enclosures. My Steins are the worst for some reason.

If ventilation is your issue you would be better served by installing adequately sized and located vents to the enclosure as opposed to fan forcing - I don't think you will 100% remove smells from the enclosure though.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  18. bumble

bumble Not so new Member

[MENTION=36726]Bart70[/MENTION]
    Thanks for making it clearer for me.
    In regards to vents I just have the standard vents which came with the enclosure , my enclosure is a Reptile One Saburra 669. And other then a few holes to mount ledges it's un touched . Do you think it worth while adding a few more vents ?

19. Cypher69

Cypher69 Well-Known Member

Another con, from experience, is the build up of dust that builds up around the bulb due to the fan "sucking the air in".
    My enclosure constantly smelled of burnt dirt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.