FAQ:Best substrate for pythons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use breeder's choice recycled paper bits i use it all the time have had no probs with it yet, cheap way to go. bark chips not many ppl suggest that here in darwin alot of ppl use the fake grass turf or the shredded paper. three of my friends who have snakes used to use wood chips til they found out the bark wasnt treated for mites and stuff and thier snakes got mites..... so ill stick to using that but it comes down to the person on what they want to use. im sure you will make a good decision on what to use :D Good luck matey

does anyone use just washed river sand for their pythons? none seems to hav said anything bout it, closest was aquarium gravel. would it have the same problems as gravel and cause impaction? or because of the smaller particles would it pass through it it was accidentally consumed?

I have over 100 pythons and I use butcher paper (on top of newspaper) for most of them, it is a little bit more expensive than just newspaper, but easier to pick up any problems that the newspaper might hide. I Dont like breeders choice, too drying and can harbour bacteria. River sand is ok, as long as you use a feeding plate so that your python or animal doesnt injest it. I use beach sand for some of my Stimmis, but use a feeding plate or feed them when they are in the branches, so cool to see six stimmis all hanging from a branch eating. GTG Beauty just dropped a beauty for me to clean up;)

Being in WA i have a drier warmer climate than most of you guys, so each to their own, you will find what suits you and your python best.

Last edited:
i use normal towels (like we use after a shower)...each weeks i take out the old and wash in the machine and replace with new towels...

thanks every one for your help im getting my first snake tmrw its a little female bredli and for now im going to use news papper then ill eventually get some of that marine carpet. i am also thinking of getting some of those shiny river stones you get from garden centers is there any problem with these thanks

thanx ashliegh, it does look good, ya can get green, brown etc whatever colour ya want...lol and its easy to clean, just chuck it in the washing machine every week...

Ash...

Just reading through a few of the posts, some really good ideas out there,

However, like the recent one i have seen a couple of people saying that they use towels.

I would highly disagree with this. Towels are play grounds for bacteria, they are designed to soak up water and that is exactly what they do.

Thus, you put a moist towel in to a warm environment and you got germ city.

You may have no problems, but it is definitely a harbour for germs and would most likely lead directly to recpiratory infection,

Cheers

D

Anything that soaks up water is a breeding ground for bacteria. Paper towel/newspaper included. Bottom line is if the towel is changed when dirty there shouldn't be an issue, as long as the towel goes in dry in the first place. I can't see how this is any different to newspaper or paper towel.

Put anything moist in a warm environment and you get germ city. JMO

Just reading through a few of the posts, some really good ideas out there,

However, like the recent one i have seen a couple of people saying that they use towels.

I would highly disagree with this. Towels are play grounds for bacteria, they are designed to soak up water and that is exactly what they do.

Thus, you put a moist towel in to a warm environment and you got germ city.

You may have no problems, but it is definitely a harbour for germs and would most likely lead directly to recpiratory infection,

Cheers

D

Anything that soaks up water is a breeding ground for bacteria. Paper towel/newspaper included. Bottom line is if the towel is changed when dirty there shouldn't be an issue, as long as the towel goes in dry in the first place. I can't see how this is any different to newspaper or paper towel.

Put anything moist in a warm environment and you get germ city. JMO

didn't you know bacteria can't read so they don't use newspapers hehe...

I would say anything that absorbs moisture, as you say snakegal, would be a medium to breed unwanted bacteria and thus lower the overall health of your snake. On saying that, cleanliness is next to godliness (hehe) and keeping your tank clean keeps it free of nasty jimmy germs...

I don't understand why everyone is so concerned about cleaning. My snakes live on gravel which was originally used in a fish tank. I cleaned it before putting in with the snakes but they have lived happily on the gravel for a couple of years. I just scoop out the poo and it is far more attractive than paper or mod grass.

Gravel

Regardless of what substrate you use even if you scoop it out the poo can still remain between the gravle and there for the potential to have a little colony of nasties running around causing possibly unseen harm to your self or your snake is real. JMO

I would still be cleaning the gravel and washing every few weeks to be sure. Once again JMO

biteandsquees what do you do when your snake pee's how do you clean it if you have fish gravel do you take all the gravel out then clean it

there are so many options! we have been using newspaper but i kinda like the sound of marine carpet or even the shade cloth, as we have glass-bottomed tanks too. newspaper sure is easy to clean up but sure doesn't do much for looks....

Price

I think if you like the look of marine grade carpet, can afford it and have the time to clean it then go for what works. I guess it comes down to what looks good, affordability and cleanable

Well I found that at my local bunnings they have out door carpet, I got the finer bristle style.

I guess maybe price will vary from store to store but I payed $18/M and it has done the job fine.

Just my opinion anyway.

Cheers,

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back