Fattening up green tree frogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilegirl2000

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I was given a white's tree frog that is very skinny. the lady i got him from kept him in a rubbermaid tube w/ just substrate and a water dish. i think she may have been feeding him crickets but i doubt it was very often. what type of diet can i put him on that will give him quick weight gain?

I was given a white's tree frog that is very skinny. the lady i got him from kept him in a rubbermaid tube w/ just substrate and a water dish. i think she may have been feeding him crickets but i doubt it was very often. what type of diet can i put him on that will give him quick weight gain?

Mealworms will fat them up, but be careful as GTF tend to (in captivity) get obese easily/quickly.

Dont feed daily and dont always feed mealworms often as they dont have much protein.

Best to keep up with 2 crickets every two days.

You may change diet with slugs, woodies and moths every now and then.

Good luck. :)

P.S. Read: Frogs as Pets by Michael J Tyler and Raising Native Frogs by Alastair Bax. (both from your local library)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Woodies (roaches) are pretty nutritious compared to crickets. Just remember to dust then with calcium powder.

Meal worms should be fed sparingly as they don't contain that much nutrients but lots of fat, And have been known to cause compaction.

woodies or/and crickets dusted in calcium powder

Juz passing on a warning that was given to me...But young frogs can choke & die on the hard shells of woodies.
If the frog ISN'T young but jus weak & scrawny, maybe fatten it up on mealies until it gets its strength to crush up woodies.

i was in a similar situation where i got 3 very skinny GTF that had not had access to UV, never had a meal vitamin dusted and were fed a cricket a week... The girl had had them for 2 years and had never heard them croak (they were in her room).

Within a couple of months they were a healthy weight and were croaking every night =]

As everyone has already said i just give them mostly dusted woodies and crickets sometimes. Meal worms are a treat, i just keep them in the fridge and a pack lasts me months.

Variety is great though, so if you can get your hands on silk worms, earth worms, blow flies or moths its great!

Juz passing on a warning that was given to me...But young frogs can choke & die on the hard shells of woodies.
If the frog ISN'T young but jus weak & scrawny, maybe fatten it up on mealies until it gets its strength to crush up woodies.
I have heard this story for crickets and mealworms as well and have seen it applied to reptiles and impaction as well. Yet not one of hese have I seen validated with a veterinary report. A frog's capacity to struggle for some time with swallowing large and reluctant prey items and their ability to breathe through their skin casts further doubt upon the likeihood of "choking". It is one of those myths that may have started because a sick and dying frog snuffed it ('croaked it' is probably more approriate) in the middle of a meal.

Frogs shouldn't be given vitamin and mineral supplements every meal - once to twice a week at most is healthier for them. Don't fog these guys should get a bit of low level UVB exposure on a regular basis or at least vitamin D in their supplements.

I have heard this story for crickets and mealworms as well and have seen it applied to reptiles and impaction as well. Yet not one of hese have I seen validated with a veterinary report. A frog's capacity to struggle for some time with swallowing large and reluctant prey items and their ability to breathe through their skin casts further doubt upon the likeihood of "choking". It is one of those myths that may have started because a sick and dying frog snuffed it ('croaked it' is probably more approriate) in the middle of a meal.

Well the person who told me about possibly young frogs (morphs) choking & dying on woodies was the actual breeder who I bought my morphs from. She said she experienced several of her young frogs choke on small woodies & die as a result to pass on the warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back