feed in box?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moses

Reaction score
The latest chapter in my attempts to feed my carpet is this, Tried to feed her a thawed hopper on monday, no luck. I now have her in a small box with a live rat pup(I have been assured they have no teeth). How long should I leave her inthere to encourage her to eat? She has been in there for 1 hr, and I can hear the pup still moving. :? I know that I am propably stressing a small thing, and in turn stressing you all with my constant q's. Once again, thank you all!
Moses

How long

How long is a piece of string? :lol:

If it was me, I'd leave it in there overnight (with fingers crossed!)

what I did

I had a similar ordeal with 1 of my pythons awhile ago,it just wouldnt eat.
What I did was put it in a smaller box with a live pup but I removed its hide and only used newspaper.It just wouldnt go it.Then when the lights went off about 30 mins later it struck. The python was hiding under the paper and had got sick and tired of the pup crawling all over it,it came out from beneath the paper and hit the pup that hard I had heard it from the next room. The 2nd time I tryed this method the same thing happened only this time it constricted the item but did not eat it. 3rd attempt I did the same and it ate.From then on it would eat straight from my hand.

she is showing no interest in the rat pup(just peeked in), has been about 5-6 hrs I think. I am out of ideas. I guess I will wait for her to decide she wants to eat again, hope it is soon. I am fed up, and really worried that she may not eat again.
Moses

he he he....... :lol:

You're "fed up" and she's not..... :lol:

<Sorry - Couldn't help it>

:D

feed in box

What does she normally feed on?
Your best bet would be to try at night as a pythons feeding responses are stronger at that time.There is several ways you can try to get her to eat a rat pup.Scent it with whatever she normally feeds on,Or drop the item on her when she is coiled up sometimes they strike out of defence then end up eating. If nothing seems to be working give it a few days and then try again.Teasing her with the item may work also,simply put the pup near her face then retreat several times and see how that goes.AGAIN the best time to try any approach is at night after lights out when you see your python searching the enclosure for food.

Also make sure that the rat pup is warm (above the temperature of the enclosure) so that she can sense it with labial pits (I think that's them....?). Also if you hold the back legs and base of the tail with long tweezers and "jiggle" the pup.... This gives the impression of a moving warm blooded animal. It worked wonders for my carpet. He would only eat maybe one pinkie when left with him overnight. As soon as I used the tweezers, he took 4 in a row!!! :D

Are you using defrosted? If so, how do you defrost them? The best way I have found is to put them in a coffee mug (not your one obviously!) and run the hot water into the mug for about 3-4 minutes. Hold them in the mug with the tweezers to stop them running into the sink..... When the tummy of them is soft, but expands again after you press it with the tweezers, it is ready... Leave for about 2 minutes to cool slightly so you dont burn her mouth, then "jiggle" away!

Hi Moses

stress not - snakey will eat when ready - just as a matter of interest when was the last shedding. I tried to feed my two new Olives last weekend but neither was interested. I checked on them last night and noticed that one has cloudy eyes and will shed in the next week. I'll try feeding each weekend until they eat. I didn't expect them to eat for a couple of weeks after their flight down from QLD and with the shed likely it may be a week or so. I think the trick is to not keep trying every day as this will raise your expectations and depress you if nothing happens.

The snake will eat when it's hungry (assuming environment is ok)

be patient. 8)

BTW with a name like Moses you should keep a couple of Liasis Fuscus in one enclosure. That way you may one day be able to perform the unbelievable like you namesake and 'Part the Waters'. :lol:

When I feed thawed I also soak in warm water till they are warm and completely defrosted. I have tried dangling and dropping on her when she is coiled, this gets a defensive strike at best. I tried a live rat pup last night, and not even a hint of interest. It is 6 weeks without a feed, 4 since her last shed. ok, How long can a 7mth old carpet go without food before I should worry?

I am assuming you are just changing over from mice to rat pups.
With all your attempts failing you may consider tying the smallest mouse you can to the smallest rat pup you can find.Make sure you use a
line to tie them together that will disolve inside your python.

:-(

Graham : re "Parting the waters" : Groan! :?

Moses he should be ok at least for 3 month. After this time i would start to visiting vet or get some experience person to look at him. You can feed him your self ,,force feeding,, But i would leave this for later. Keep eye on snake condition, check his mouth regularly and make sure that he is not loosing body weight to much. occasionally turn him upside down and watch how quickly he is turning and if is not disoriented.
That is what i would do, But many people have more experience than me and they can give you different advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back