feeding a coastal carpet python hatchling

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chippy3476

Reaction score
I have just got a coastal carpet python hatchling and had her a couple of days now, i tried to feed her but she is not interested at all, the breeder said she has had a couple of feeds already. What should I do now, how long should I wait before trying again?

Leave her a week and try again she is probably not settled yet and a week without food won't kill her.

- - - Updated - - -

Also as tempting as it may be don't handle her either for first week to help settle

She ate a pinky mouse this morning! She wouldnt strike at it in the tweezers so I placed it on the bottom of her tub and she went up and eventually took it and ate it. So should I now do this every time or should I try the tweezers again next time?
Thanks.

Up to you try again with the tweezers after a week she may confident enough to take it from the tweezers next time.

The seller/breeder should have told you how to look after it properly or given you some information. I would ring that person up for info ......

I have been in contact with the breeder, he has been a great help, i just wanted to get some other peoples thoughts on the matter.
Thanks
Dan

I have been in contact with the breeder, he has been a great help, i just wanted to get some other peoples thoughts on the matter.
Thanks
Dan
Glad you got that sorted im looking forward to hopefully have my new jungle feed next week some time. How long did you leave the pinky in the cage btw? Just incase i need to do the same thing

Glad you got that sorted im looking forward to hopefully have my new jungle feed next week some time. How long did you leave the pinky in the cage btw? Just incase i need to do the same thing

Mate, i tried with the tweezers and then placed it on the floor, put the lid back on and she went straight up to it and ate it while I watched. No strike or constriction just straigt up swallowed it down.
She ate it bum first but I dont think it matters much. Also I fed her early morning before leaving for work so it was still dark and she was out and about so that possibly helped.
Cheers
Dan

Mate, i tried with the tweezers and then placed it on the floor, put the lid back on and she went straight up to it and ate it while I watched. No strike or constriction just straigt up swallowed it down.
She ate it bum first but I dont think it matters much. Also I fed her early morning before leaving for work so it was still dark and she was out and about so that possibly helped.
Cheers
Dan
thanks ill try that this weekend when i go try again for him. Just found out he defectated but hasnt eaten in a few weeks was quite suprised myself but suprisingly he didnt try bite me when i cleaned it and changed his water. Thinking his heat was a bit too high so hopefully goes good :)

thanks ill try that this weekend when i go try again for him. Just found out he defectated but hasnt eaten in a few weeks was quite suprised myself but suprisingly he didnt try bite me when i cleaned it and changed his water. Thinking his heat was a bit too high so hopefully goes good :)

Yeah mate, I have had to brain the pinkie the last 2 feeds as she wont take it otherwise, I just poke a sharp object through the head and and stir a little, then place on floor of tank and she eats ot straight away, its a bit gross I know but atleast I can get her to eat.

Keep offering the prey with tweezers, and if unsuccessful, place it in the enclosure as you have done. At some point it will strike. We have an MD that never struck until he was about a year and a half; now, he takes the prey as I am putting it into his enclosure.

Yeah mate, I have had to brain the pinkie the last 2 feeds as she wont take it otherwise, I just poke a sharp object through the head and and stir a little, then place on floor of tank and she eats ot straight away, its a bit gross I know but atleast I can get her to eat.
yea gross stuff sometimes needs to come around tho unfortunatly. Thanks for the tips tho man but thankfully this weekend he went straight for it ended up eating 2 pinkys but i accidently burst the stomach a tiny bit so i think it might of helped bring out the scent maybe? Either way happy hes eating just gotta hope he eats next time just as easy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back