feeding baby mertens water monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I started mine on crickets and woodies which they seemed to enjoy most when they could eat them ambush style while the bugs were on the water surface and the monitors were underneath. When the mertens finally began to eat insects from tongs, I started feeding them tiny yabbies and chopped mice as well.

I've been feeding mine finely chopped chicken necks so they are getting the bones for calcium i feel each piece over to make sure there isn't any sharp bones of course and white bait fish and pinkies. i just get worried they are not getting enough calcium just from meat. i never had any worries with the lacies and spencers they down hole animals no probe even as babies.

whole prey chopped up = whole prey. I give my young monitors chopped ADULT mice. There was a recent thread here about the different nutritional value of rodents at all sizes/ stages that might be worth a look.

I dont know if feeding marine types of food ie prawns or whitebait would cause problems in the long term with salt levels etc so mine get freshwater critters only. I also feed chicken necks but only one feed a fortnight

the guy i got them of said white bait would be the only fish he would recommend feeding them unless its feeder fish from the pet shop but he said put them in a tank for about 2 week before feeding so you know they have no chemicals. they seem to like mice if i put some fuzzys in there they there gone when i come back so i might try chopping up adult mice would probably be better than fuzzes bones wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back