feeding bristle nose catfish to turtles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dano85

Reaction score
Hi would it be ok to feed baby bristle nose cat fish to turtles?
My fishtank is overiden with them they just keep breeding they are about 10-15mm long i dont no if they have barbs or not.
Anyone tried this?

Bristlenose do have barbs. I'd be afraid of them getting stuck in the turtle's throat.

Should be fine if you chop them up. Live feeding is probably illegal anyway.

Unfortunately it's not illegal:(
why should it be? with most fish like mangrove jacks the feeder fish are dead within seconds same with mice. and really half the fun of having a predatory fish is watching them feed:)

I've seen someone's arowana go at a poor little mouse:(It wasn't quick at all, and certainly wasn't pretty:(
Also seen someone feed a mouse to a bunch of pirahnas... That was even worse than the arowana thing:(
I'm a vegetarian...:p...I don't enjoy such things..

take the bristle nose to the local pet shop they may buy them , then buy some cheaper feeder fish

I've seen someone's arowana go at a poor little mouse:(It wasn't quick at all, and certainly wasn't pretty:(
Also seen someone feed a mouse to a bunch of pirahnas... That was even worse than the arowana thing:(

Pirahnas in Aust? Do we have native ones?

my mangrove jack would grab them in his mouth then dive with them and drown them and it probably only took all of 10seconds. then with goldfish theyd be gone in less than a second and thered be scales everywhere:) he was one mean fish. i miss him:(

why should it be? with most fish like mangrove jacks the feeder fish are dead within seconds same with mice. and really half the fun of having a predatory fish is watching them feed:)

I wonder how u would feel if your were the hunted?? Not such fun then.

I wonder how u would feel if your were the hunted?? Not such fun then.
its the way nature is bigger thing eats smaller thing. really its no different to feeding insects to lizards and frogs:rolleyes: and plus this fish was extremely powerful so they were dead or unconcious in seconds:rolleyes:

be really careful even when you are cutting them up all of the dorsal fins are spikes.

Pirahnas in Aust? Do we have native ones?
the closest relative to a pihrana that is legal is silver dollars. but if you want a predatory fish go for a mangrove jack they are like a rabid pitbull and extremely hardy:) i miss my one:(

Hi,
As dickie said take the bristlenose into your local petshop (s) sell them for $3 to $4 each and buy some decent turtle food.
Their is good money in breeding bristlenose catfish, got any peppermints?
Cheers

my BN get on fine with the turtles except the albinos, the turtle ate them and left the other normals.
at 1.5cm i think there fine to eat.

I breed a few specis inc, normal, albino's,peppermints and orange spots.
should be able to feed to turtles as their not too armord when young,but if they are bigger than 2cm not recommended.

you wouldn't really get much food from a small birstlenose like that, so you might as well sell them and buy your turtles other food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back