Feeding Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maximus

Reaction score
Hi
i have a 2 months old coastel. ive been force feeding him pinkie tails for the past month, and his grown steadily. ive put a pinkie in the enclosure for him but he seems uniterested.... should i force feed it to him or do u think its a bit early. his about 50cm

Hi Maxmimus,

I'm sure someone around hear can help you, but they will probably need more background info.
Can I ask what kind of set up you have? Are temperatures and enclosures furnishings optimum. Was the snake feeding, and on what prior to you getting him?

Have you tried scenting prey, braining etc etc some of the more usual tricks?
Also when forcefeeding why have you only used the pinkie tails? - not that I have ever force fed, but I would suggest that there is probably minimal nutritional value in tails as opposed to eating a whole animal?

Anyway, post some more info, and I'm sure some of our more experienced members can help.

Hi, i would have used force feeding as a last resort, stresses them out a bit. I had some 5 week old diamonds that wouldnt feed, anyway after trying various methods over the next 6 weeks or so, they still didnt eat. I got a tip to bump the ambient temps at night to about 35 degrees for about six hours, then try feeding a live just turned fuzzy mouse, anyway they took it that night, then i returned the temps back to normal. For some reason with the high temps, the normally docile diamonds went a bit agro and bit anything that moved, and when they bit the fuzzy they just took it. Anyway i did this over the next 4 weeks with repeated success , after which they started to take their food at normal temps, seems like they just needed to be kicked started.Good luck hope i helped.

cheers
M.S

hmm ok um well i have him in a tank. a bulb on one side at the temp there sits about 29 degrees contstant and on and off during the night.. i also have a uv light across the back of the tank. Well the breeder advised me on feeding him the tails, thats what he was on and he was too little to feed anything else.. ive given him about 8 tails since i got him.
Can someone explain braining to me also..

First off i would leave the temps on at night, hot spots have to be provided that are at least 32 degrees. There is no reason why you couldnt force feed a pinkie, i have seen coastals eat a fuzzy at their first feed.I wouldnt bother force feeding tails, maybe if it were a childrens, perhaps, but a coastal can definately take a pinkie or fuzzy.Leaving the heat off at night is like cooling the snake, that is probably why it doesnt feed, bump the temps up a bit and see how you go.Try ambient temps of 28 degrees with a nice hotspot of 32-35, if its too hot the snake will move to the cooler end of the tank.Let us know how you go.

cheers
M.S

Braining is where you crush the head of the prey animal until blood and juices come from the animal's nose. Apparently these smell very enticing to the snake, and they may feed more readily.

Maximus, i have submitted an article on Carpet Python Husbandry that i have found very helpful. It wont appear as the moderators have to look at it first i think. However i posted the same article in a post titled growth g, in the herp related problems area. Note that the temps are not in degree celcius, you do the calculations. Also i was wondering how big a cage are you keeping it in? Juveniles dont feel secure in a big tank, a tank about 30 cms by 20 cms would be plenty big for the moment, also try putting somethiung it can climb onto, carpets like striking down at their food. Feeding is probably best done at night.Also make sure it has a hide, i have found that juveniles love striking out from their hide at prey.

cheers
M.S

:)

Yep, you're right! Just waiting on authors approval! :wink:

Maximus,
Could I ask who you bought the coastal from?
I know of a guy that feeds he's hatchies pinkie tails.

2 month old 50 cm long I think that size is above average and you can stop feeding for 14 days and after try to get him eat.

OK I'm confused. A 50cm coastal (aprrox weight 50g) being fed pinkie tails but is growing well? A pinkie mouse weighs 1-2g, the tail I'd reckon about 0.05-0.1g. So the 8 tails you've fed would weigh 0.4-0.8g over the month. Unless I'm missing something there is now way your snake would have grown well on such a diet. I've heard of people feeding rat tails but this is something that should not be done. There is no goodness in a rodent tail, just fat.
You need to feed your snake whole prey. A 50cm carpet python will eat a fuzzie no worries, even a hopper. no need to forcefeed yet, try to get him to take the mouse willingly. You only need to force feed as a last resort, if the snake is in poor condition.
There's scenting with a skink, scenting with a fish, braining, live food and changing the heating regime all to be tried first.

ok ok,
Well yeah iv got plenty hides and branches n stuff..his encloser is about 50 cm x 30 cm..
i got him from a Gerry Swan.. A breeder friend of a friend. He force feeds all his young ones

That is who I was thinking of lol.
I didnt want to mention names just incase.

He is a nice chap,and regardless of he's feeding method with new born hatchlings,he really is an educated man in the hobby of herps.Many may recall me bragging about really spectacular Inland hatchlings! they were bred from Gerry.They show a complete stripe down 1 side and already show vivid grey color & markings.Gerry also gave a slide show trivia night last month at the HHS. I guess the pinkie tails is a method that works for him to feed as many as possible fussy eaters before sale (an option when dealing with so many animals at one time perhaps).

ok! ive done wat you all said..
with the temps increased and left on throughout the night,..
i put a fuzzie in there.. and nothing... his not even interested..
aaarrrrrghhh its sO fRusTrating!
and tonight i placed a fuzzie that i had rubbed all over a skink...
what next ppl...

Did you try a live fuzzy or a dead one. Maybe you should try teasing him with a fuzzy, bump him on the nose gently or behind his head.In any case i wouldnt worry, snakes can go a long time without food. You dont want to stress him out by trying every night.Let him be for a couple days and give it a try again.

cheers
M.S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back