Feeding Keelback

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gillsy

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just a quick Keelback Vid, they're on alot of wish lists :)

[video=youtube;TPthtFs0s6I]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=TPthtFs0s6I[/video]

Nice video it looks awkward eating the goldfish, but very cool

Well I don't know who you've been talking to najanaja, I know dozens of people that would have them.

I'm after another couple of females, I'm going to start trying to breed them I've never tried as I didn't know what sex I had and they were all kept seperate

Nice video it looks awkward eating the goldfish, but very cool

That was just a bad take, if they grab it head first they'll swallow it within a few secs.

Well I don't know who you've been talking to najanaja, I know dozens of people that would have them.

I'm after another couple of females, I'm going to start trying to breed them I've never tried as I didn't know what sex I had and they were all kept seperate

ive always had the best luck communal breeding..
i used to keep 3 males and 7 female together and they bred like rabbits every year..

LOL Ryan,

Yeah I've heard communial breeding, and they'll breed year round apparently to.

I have 2 males, 1 female, I want another couple of females.

I didn't know they fed on fish!
And there were two at the expo... *facepalm*
Oh well, Amazing Amazon has one still.

Great vid! Thanks for posting it :)

Do you feed them goldfish all their lives, or do you switch to something else, or alternate between foods?

goldfish are good but if you can get them onto pinkies or skinned mice they do really well and fill out really nice. also easier to condition females before breeding if they are on mice. just have to remember they dont do well on fur so you have to skin the mice. try scenting a pinkie with fish and see what happens.

Nah I feed then solely on fish, i try to vary from goldfish because of the "thya...soemthing" chemical in goldfish.

I do if i can get a hold of striped marsh frog taddies, and use silver perch, aus rainbows, or any other fish on special at the local aquarium store.

I'm not too fussed about breeding them, so as long as they are healthly I'm ok with that.

I did a search and people have mentioned that thya... stuff Gillsy. That's an interesting list of alternate prey items :) Do people ever complain that you are feeding live vertebrates?

Hope you found that special someone to share with you and the keel backs too :p

Well, fish generally aren't considered vertibrates when it comes to feeding live... Don't know why they are intelligent and have memories contrary to popular belief.

Most colubrids are fed fish at least some point throughout their life, to get them started. Alot of keelbacks were originally Legally Wildcaught out of Reedy's Reptiles in the NT so I don't see a problem giving them their natural diet. As they are very flighty and sometimes hard to even get near to offer rodents.

I do think it is double standards to complain about cuddly vertebrates being live fed, but to overlook it when it happens to the less cute ones :) But I don't see a problem with it myself, provided it is necessary and not dangerous to the predator.

I am nowhere near a class two licence, but these guys are on the wishlist for a few years down the track :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back