Feeding Pain in the butt

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darwin

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 3 year old Albino Darwin and have recently moved down from QLD to Melbourne.

This guy is a really fussy eater. It took ages to convert him from mice to rats. I couldnt have done that without the help and patients from Jinjajoe.

He was at one stage eating "fresh killed' rats and since ive been down here he started to take frozen.

His last feed was on the 9th of November. I have been trying to offer him frozen but he wont have a bar of them.
He sits in the strike position for hours but wont budge with the frozen.
I use hairdryers, hotwater you name it i try it.....

As we all know it kills us when our snakes dont eat.

I would love it if anyone could point me in the direction of where I can buy live rats(fresh killed purpose) or any tips on how to get him to eat.
This guy is very fussy and a sook.

Thanks in advance

Are your temps okay? What time do you feed?

My MD stopped eating for 2 months, so I tried him with a couple of (frozen) large mice which I'd blooded (eww) and he seemed keen again, I bumped up his temps 2 degrees as well, and he went back to taking a rat the week after.

Can you get a hold of live rats and then kill them yourself and try freshly killed?

Have you tried lightly tapping the rat on your snakes face it might agitate it enough to strike at it an decide that he might just throw some coils on it an gulp it down.worked for me

Ive tried lightly tapping the rat onto him but he gets annoyed and moves away. Ive even tried thawing out other rats in case he just doesnt like the look of the first one that I offered. Seriously..... massive pain. Who would be that fussy when they havent eaten in 5weeks lol

Im located in Moonee Ponds, if anyone knows of anyone breeding rats that would be a great help.

get some long tongs and jump it a little around if his in strike position or just hang on to the rat by the tail he may not like you in sight.
my 9yr old coastal will take rats room temp somtimes and other times i have to heat them with hair dryer and tease her up a little to get her going or i could chuck it in and wont get a budge out of her some times it will take me 3 or 4 trys in about 30mins drop it in leave it not touched move it around get her going or when she gets up close and dont take it when its dangling and she is keen drop it and somtimes it may get a strike out of it.
goodluck

I know it's a long shot. Try feeding him two smaller rats. My albino boy goes a bit funny, normally after upping his feed size. I offer him two smaller rats for one or two feeds opposed to the larger size I feed his partner.
Might be worth a try.

I know it's a long shot. Try feeding him two smaller rats. My albino boy goes a bit funny, normally after upping his feed size. I offer him two smaller rats for one or two feeds opposed to the larger size I feed his partner.
Might be worth a try.
This is a good stratergy as most snakes will alway take a smaller meal rather that (OH MY GOD "but ill give it a go" ) attitude..............If all else fails i bet u would get a good food response from a fully grown quail (if your 3yr old is big enough)..if not try day old chicks they LOVE them
Ta
Pete

Thanks for all your great suggestions.

I thought I would have another crack at feeding him tonight and thawed out another rat in warm water. I offered it too the little bugger and he investigated it whilst in the strike pose. Without any luck i thought I would place the rat in some warm water again and try again in a few minutes. This time I waved the rat around and pushed it into Darwins face. BANG he gave it a good whack and wrapped it up! Whilst he still hasnt swallowed it, he is sniffing around it now. Fingers crossed the rat disappears and Darwin is back on track.

Thanks guys for taking the time to suggest a few things.

Marty

- - - Updated - - -

Mission accomplished! Rat has disappeared! I am a happy man and Darwin is a happy python

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back