Feeding problems

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

douff

Reaction score
My coastal python who is around a year old and up until recently has been eating regularly about once a week, now refuses too.

His last meal was around 3 1/2 weeks ago. I've tried different types of rat and mouse. I've brained them. All to no avail. He just seems to get stressed and want to run away.

Should I be worried? Any ideas about what else I could try?

regards,

Daniel

A month is no prob as they go for long periods in the wild without eating but if you want the members to throw some light on it anyway give us some more details. Things like temp, last feed, age, size etc all have a part to play in determinning why the buggas won't eat :) Is he/she coming up to a shed? etc etc etc. Basically don't worry yet :)
By the way, I haven't seen you here before so if your a new member, Welcome aboard :)

I guess you could say I'm new cause I've only made one other post. I have been lurking for a while however. You helped me out a while a go with a question about choosing a lizard for my classroom. So thanks for your welcome.

As for my coastal, he's about 3 foot long and not very thick even though he was being fed every 7-9 days. I think that the place I bought him from had been underfeeding to keep him smaller. I guess smaller snakes are easier to sell.

His last shed was at the beginning of March and he shows no signs of starting a new one at the moment. His previous sheds have all been quick and problem free.

His exact date of birth I'm not sure of, however his first feeding was on the 25th of May last year. I guess makes him close to 12 months old at the moment. I keep the temperature at 30 degrees at one section and this drops to about 28 at the opposite corner. During the night I lower this by about 2 degrees.

The last time he ate was on the 15th March. He still seems healthy and active, though he only ever comes out at night. So I guess I shouldn't be concerned, but that's sometimes harder than you think it would be.

regards,

Daniel

Douf, my experience with coastals as that they get long well before they get thick. Mine are 4' long but probably about 3/4" thick at their thickest (250g.) I don't think they would underfeed to make the snake easier to sell, some people just like to grow them slowly for various reasons.
You mention braining, what size feed are you giving him? At yearling / 3' I would be feeding adult mice or weaner - small rats.
One thing to check is that the temps are still right, if you are in NSW or Vic, we have recently experienced a sudden drop in ambient temps so that can affect your cage temps.
Could also be photoperiod. Some snakes just won't feed through the colder months even though you keep the temps up, they know from the shorter days that it should be colder.
My male coastal did something similar at about the same age. I fed live for a few feeds and that seemed to do the trick.
Anyway, no need to worry for a while yet. Wait and see, he might be shedding or something even though he's not due. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back