Feeding Question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, and I thought feeding hatchlings rat tails was my little secret?

lol. Obviously not. You tie pinkies to the tails?
I find BHP's are so easy to get feeding that way when compared to Diamonds. They are a total pain in the @rse.

lol. Obviously not. You tie pinkies to the tails?
I find BHP's are so easy to get feeding that way when compared to Diamonds. They are a total pain in the @rse.
I learnt that trick years ago with pygmy pythons, scenting the tails with lizard, use it occasionally with some albino Darwin hatchlings that have zero aggression, saves time when you have lots to feed and don't want to sit there for half an hour trying to tempt them, I thaw the rats tails with mice so they get the smell.

100% agree with that. I can assist feed 15-20 BHP's with rat tail/pinkie combo in a matter of minutes and they rarely need me to go back a 2nd time.

Hmm, and I thought feeding hatchlings rat tails was my little secret?

Hahaha...Not such a secret Yellowtail. Myself and some friends started using mice tails scented with lizards about 25 years ago to get small elapids to feed, especially good for Copperheads and it works really well with baby adders which can be exceptionally hard to get onto rodents. Over the years I found that one of the easiest ways to get young Carpets to feed was to house them in small plastics that were high enough to incorporate a perch and wait for them to display feeding mode by sitting on the perch with their head looking down and then dropping a freshly stunned fuzzy on the floor underneath them. Never seems to fail.

Hahaha...Not such a secret Yellowtail. Myself and some friends started using mice tails scented with lizards about 25 years ago to get small elapids to feed, especially good for Copperheads and it works really well with baby adders which can be exceptionally hard to get onto rodents. Over the years I found that one of the easiest ways to get young Carpets to feed was to house them in small plastics that were high enough to incorporate a perch and wait for them to display feeding mode by sitting on the perch with their head looking down and then dropping a freshly stunned fuzzy on the floor underneath them. Never seems to fail.

I use plastic lattice with my baby Darwins and Jungles for the same reason and yes mouse and small rats tails are good for baby elapids.
IMG_3066.jpg

Last edited:
This season just gone I had my coastal hatchlings feeding at 2 weeks old and the last one started feeding by 12 weeks
All where started on small hoppers mice and where offered food around 9-10pm
Worked amazingly well and a method I will always use for hatchlings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This season just gone I had my coastal hatchlings feeding at 2 weeks old and the last one started feeding by 12 weeks
All where started on small hoppers mice and where offered food around 9-10pm
Worked amazingly well and a method I will always use for hatchlings

All my feeding is after 10pm, leave the lights out in my reptile rooms until ready to feed, in fact about to feed some now. I find well furred fuzzy mice gets them interested as well, rarely use pinkys but some albinos of mine are very timid and it is just too time consuming to sit there tempting them, the rats tail trick is fast and gets the shy ones going.

All my feeding is after 10pm, leave the lights out in my reptile rooms until ready to feed, in fact about to feed some now. I find well furred fuzzy mice gets them interested as well, rarely use pinkys but some albinos of mine are very timid and it is just too time consuming to sit there tempting them, the rats tail trick is fast and gets the shy ones going.

I’ll have to remember that one, I only had a problem getting them feeding my first season when I was uneducated hahaaaa

I was amazed at how quick they where feeding this season. I suppose though coastals are known for never refusing a meal [emoji23]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back