Feeding skins to burtons is illegal in NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

C.Bayo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
isnt feeding skinks to burtons illegal in NSW ? but i see two adds on another site with burtons for sale say they are fed on live skinks
obvious from wild caught stock. i think this practise should be reported to DECCE i know Sonia from SA tube feeds hers on a furmula and so do others that have breed them so there should be no reason for feeding live reptiles to reptiles .

Just because they eat skinks doesn't mean they are wild caught. It is illegal if it's not needed to stay alive.

They are difficult feeders, and most won't go to anything else or feeding it through a tube is time consuming.

At least the adds are upfront about it. I know in some states they have a live feeders list which lists the animals you can catch from the wild to feed to your herps.

Also South Australia is very strict having done a behind the scene's tour of the zoo I was told by the keeper that it is illegal to feed anything alive if it has a spine so insects are alright but anything else is prohibited.

they may not be wild caught sorry i should not have said that .
but a reptile keeper feeding retiles other then Asian house geckos which i have since found out by a few burton keepers in QLD is allowed.it is illegal wether difficult feeders or not and doesnt matter if he is up front in the add my point for this post was i think its very wrong to condone any reptile being used for a food source if you cant feed them on some thing else then you should keep them .
i have emailed DECC with a copy of the add .

Geez, better stop catching those garden skinks and using them to scent pray items....lmao.

The fact that Burton's is on basic licence is strange.
They're extremely difficult feeders, and in Vic, it's illegal to feed them...

Geez, better stop catching those garden skinks and using them to scent pray items....lmao.
they all so use Oedura lesuerii's, and Eulamprus Quoyi juveniles for food so its not just Garden skinks

Lamo good reply very intelligent

i think its very wrong to condone any reptile being used for a food source.

Do you feed your snakes mice and rats? Your gecko's/beardies roaches and crickets?
I don't know if you're a vegetarian or not so I won't ask if you've ever eaten a steak.

Rodents are very intelligent creatures, if anything you should be more worried about the amount of people that feed rodents to snakes than AHG's and the occasional garden skink to burtons.

Do you feed your snakes mice and rats? Your gecko's/beardies roaches and crickets?
I don't know if you're a vegetarian or not so I won't ask if you've ever eaten a steak.

Rodents are very intelligent creatures, if anything you should be more worried about the amount of people that feed rodents to snakes than AHG's and the occasional garden skink to burtons.

No, didn't you realise, it is ok to feed anything as long as you aren't passionate about it. Go on a rodent forum and ask them if they any rats for sale to feed you snake. Fact is, burtons eat reptiles, if you don't like it don't keep them. If people are feeding the AHG then good, they are an introduced species anyway. Go and cry to NPWS about it, but if I had them I would be feeding them all the little skinks around my house. But I don't like to feed anything a live food item especially wild caught.

If I loved rats, I wouldn't condone the use of them to feed snakes, if I were vegetarian, I wouldn't condone the use of meat from cows, sheep, pigs or any living animal for that matter. If I loved fish, then I would condone the use of using live feeder fish to feed my oscar or eating at a seafood restuarant. If I loved shellfish I wouldn't condone the use using prawns to catch fish, or to even contemplate eating them. Point is, get over it, everone has an opnion and it doesn't make yours any more valid than mine. A guy has a pet lizard that he is keeping alive by the use of a food item whch happens to be another reptile, if it was on the endagered species list I would be concerned. Maybe it is best if just let it starve to death.

Last edited:

what an ignorant answer if i was a mice fancier i wouldnt feed them mice
i am not agianst feeding live animals that are rodents or pest or commercial breed for that purpose , but catching wild skinks and gecoks .

i see now one of the members also has a burtons for sale on this site so i guess iam going to get some flack from loyal mates
if i had a hard to feed python would it be ok to feed it another hard to feed python so you at least get one eatting
I think not !

Hey I have eaten Crocodile farmed of course supplied on a survival camp. It't delish.

isnt feeding skinks to burtons illegal in NSW ? but i see two adds on another site with burtons for sale say they are fed on live skinks
obvious from wild caught stock. i think this practise should be reported to DECCE i know Sonia from SA tube feeds hers on a furmula and so do others that have breed them so there should be no reason for feeding live reptiles to reptiles .

Point me to the area of legislation where it says it is illegal.

what an ignorant answer if i was a mice fancier i wouldnt feed them mice
i am not agianst feeding live animals that are rodents or pest or commercial breed for that purpose , but catching wild skinks and gecoks .

i see now one of the members also has a burtons for sale on this site so i guess iam going to get some flack from loyal mates
if i had a hard to feed python would it be ok to feed it another hard to feed python so you at least get one eatting
I think not !
Live feeding can cause harm to snakes! that is why people are agaist it also how would you like to be dangled by your leg and dropped into the mouth of a python? Live feeding is not like it would be in the wild snakes are ambush predators so the rodents don't see it coming.

Point me to the area of legislation where it says it is illegal.
This is what i asked isnt it illegal?
in stead of just saying No its not there is a list of skinks and geckos you can legal use in QLD but not in NSW or VIC

i thought you weren't allowed to take any reptile from the wild whether big or small in NSW

i see no one will give answer in case they incriminate a mate !!

It has nothing to do with incriminating a mate it has to do with your confusing mixed views.

This is what i asked isnt it illegal?
in stead of just saying No its not there is a list of skinks and geckos you can legal use in QLD but not in NSW or VIC

i thought you weren't allowed to take any reptile from the wild whether big or small in NSW

i see no one will give answer in case they incriminate a mate !!

You started the thread but want other to do the research? How about finding out if it is illegal or not before running to the DECC to report the issue.If indeed it is an issue at all.

You also incrinated the seller by saying it from obvious wild stock. Have you ever kept burtons? Do you know if they are hard to feed or not, have you tried offering them other sources of food. No, you just assumed they were wild caught.

You then go on to 'send a letter to DECC without even knowing if it is illegal yourself. So if you want to incriminate someone in future, at least do your research, get your facts straight and don't come on here telling everyone how bad it is to sell an animal that is feeding on reptiles and that they should be reported.

inst feeding skinks to burtons illegal in NSW ?
this is all i wanted to know its the first line in my post .

is it or isnt it
nothing else
with all this expertise here surely some one can answer this with out any garbage added

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back