Feeding snakes in their enclosure or out of it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feed all my snakes in their enclosures. When my olive was due for a feed I'd reached in there to pick him up so I could clean his tank and when I touched him he tried to have a go at me. He doesn't usually do that, but when he realised there was no food on offer he was fine. Other than that I haven't had any problems with feeding snakes in their tanks, I have 8 of them and there's only one I use a hook for, but she's always been a more highly strung animal. She's settled somewhat since getting bigger though.

thanks a lot for your comments guys, ive concluded that even though there probably isnt a connection between feeding in the enclosure and aggressiveness, i think i will still feed out of the enclosure just so it gives me a chance every week to clean the enclosure it lives in, i guess its just a win win, snake eats, i clean haha. but please if anyone else has any other comments to make, please do.

cypp

I feed mine in the enclosures.... I fed one of mine as a hatchling once outside in a tub as I was going to clean the click clack anyway. The result was a re-gurge an hour later, must have stressed it out from moving it around. So that was the one and only time one of mine has been fed out of the enclosure.

I always put down a paper towel when its feeding time... my Murray Darling knows that when the paper towel is down food is on the way... he never strikes me or acts defensively/aggressively when there is no paper in the tank which means im free to have my hands in the tank...

Paper in tank = no hands in the tank
No paper in the tank = hosting a finger puppet show with my snake as my co star

I always put down a paper towel when its feeding time... my Murray Darling knows that when the paper towel is down food is on the way... he never strikes me or acts defensively/aggressively when there is no paper in the tank which means im free to have my hands in the tank...

wow, interesting technique. thanks for sharing.

We use to feed outside but then our collection grew and I become rather lazy, so now I feed inside. I have no problems whats so ever! I actually find it easier as after feeding, our 2 meter diamond become rather alert and I always worried that I will get bitten then. Our rule is once fed no hands in untill poo comes out. Good luck.

I feed in the enclosure and believe there are no handling problems as a result.
It would take a really long time to feed if I moved each animal to a seperate tub.
Some of my animals seem to like taking their time re-killing their defrosted meal before they eat it.:D

cheers
Octane

For years I used to take all my pythons out of there enclosures to eat, but in the past 3 years I stopped taking them out and started feeding them all in there enclosures, there has been no change in temperament, but I did notice with the ones that were always taken out of there enclosures to feed, but where rarely handled, had a bad reputation for biting in and out of the enclosure (because the only time they saw me was when they were being fed). My opinion is, it doesn't matter where you feed them, it all comes down to how often you handle them.

our 2 meter diamond become rather alert and I always worried that I will get bitten

i always make sure their food is given to them from above... that way they are more likely to strike the food before your hand... this is made easy by holding the tales...

if you feeding them something like rabbits i say goodluck to you sir!

wow, interesting technique. thanks for sharing.

its just like with a dog when you get the lead out or if you pick up the scoop for their food... they recognise what happens when they see these things... just less fluffy :)

Lmao, wow...

I would love to see a video proving your method Stopthatsnake

Yeah sure thing... ill see what i can do! He's due for a feed soon anyway :)

I didn't set out to train him to recognise feeding time... it was more that i didn't want him being hurt by swallowing some of his substrate when he was smaller... so now its just a habit! I live in hope that it will help him to recognise that you cant eat (or bite) people... especially the smaller ones!

So each time you handle him he thinks hes getting food after? :S...
Zuesowns who is this directed at?

Hey guys heres the video of hans at feeding time and how he reacts to the paper towel thing... sorry about the fact that its sideways ill fix it later when i have a moment! there is no food in this video (i ran out) so those who are not fond of feeding time are safe to watch

Ill also try to get a video of him feeding as well... but for now tilt your heads and watch!

Feeding time behavior

woah, your little guy seriously did go up to the paper towel and place his head on it and was practically waiting for the prey item. i applaud you on training him to do that. also very nice animal, your very lucky. cheers mate

I dont know about training him... but he certainly seems to have picked up on something... now if i could only get stay, rollover and fetch to work!

I've always fed mine outside the enclosure, as I have also read that they can associate you putting the hand in the enclosure with food. I don't like to use hooks with mine, I am able to grab mine out with my hands without getting bitten and I often feed them on the floor with either a fluff free towel or paper town underneath them :) works well so far, in saying that I also have two in one tank so they need to be taken out to eat, my female is a guts and demolishes her rat before the boy is even 1/3 of the way through lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back