Feeding time

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caitlin96

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Going to be feeding my Stimson for the first time tomorrow. After a lot of research I’ve decided to try feeding him in the enclosure. I have aspen substrate so I’m just wondering if he accidentally eats some substrate with the food somehow, will he be okay? Like I said, it will be my first time feeding him so no idea how it’s going to go, just want to be prepared!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put the mouse/rat inside a sealed ziplock bag and put that into warm water to thaw. Should stop most of the aspen sticking to it. It's not an issue if your snake ingests a bit of substrate- it will pass through easily enough.

If you're that worried, but a flat surface (like a plate or sheet of paper) onto where you want to eat. I personally don't bother, but I do know of some people who prefer to do this

Feeding in the enclosure is the way to go, he should be fine.
it will be my first time feeding him so no idea how it’s going to go,
I predict that you'll flinch or jump when he strikes. it can give you a little fright the first time.

Thanks! Sounds good :)
I kinda want it to nip at me already just to get the first shock over and done with haha! But he’s so calm

Thanks! Sounds good :)
I kinda want it to nip at me already just to get the first shock over and done with haha! But he’s so calm

People dont usually like the idea of this, but the best way to get over the fear is to almost "force" them to bite you by keeping your hand in etc
the way i got over the fear was the girl i worked with just held a grumpy snake up to my arm and sure enough it latched on and didnt want to let go, but this way i knew it was coming and didnt try to pull away, so no harm to the snake

People dont usually like the idea of this, but the best way to get over the fear is to almost "force" them to bite you by keeping your hand in etc
the way i got over the fear was the girl i worked with just held a grumpy snake up to my arm and sure enough it latched on and didnt want to let go, but this way i knew it was coming and didnt try to pull away, so no harm to the snake

That makes sense I guess. I think I’ll just see what happens. He’s a yearling, 15 months old, and already really accustomed to handling so I don’t think I wanna try peeve him off on purpose. If it happens it happens!

That is some very poor advice. Trying to elicit a bite response for the reason of getting over your fear is nothing short of ill-treatment of a snake and should never be done. All it will do is stress your snake unnecessarily and may make a calm snake a bitey one.

@Bl69aze please think before you type.

That is some very poor advice. Trying to elicit a bite response for the reason of getting over your fear is nothing short of ill-treatment of a snake and should never be done. All it will do is stress your snake unnecessarily and may make a calm snake a bitey one.

@Bl69aze please think before you type.
So is not expecting a bite, freaking out from the shock and pulling your snakes teeth out, or even pulling it and whacking it into a wall.

Atleast with my way you’re expecting it and won’t pull away and hurt your snake. The snake won’t hate you. Not going to become Satan snake from one bite.

If I can just add on here on the topic of aspen bedding, how often (if at all) should I completely empty it out and re-fill with all fresh? If that makes sense. Or is it fine to just spot clean and top up areas as needed?

So is not expecting a bite, freaking out from the shock and pulling your snakes teeth out, or even pulling it and whacking it into a wall. At least with my way you’re expecting it and won’t pull away and hurt your snake. The snake won’t hate you. Not going to become Satan snake from one bite.

Mate I have to agree with Rob here that you offered some very poor advice. Trying to prepare one's self to accept a snake bite by making a snake bite you won't change a thing. Attempting to pull your hand out of the way when a bite occurs is a natural automatic reflex action which is built into our nervous system and cannot be controlled consciously. It will happen no matter how many times one tries to prepare for a bite. It's like when you tread on a nail and instinctively lift your foot up straight away, you have no control of the response.

Better advice would be to be aware that snakes are not our friends and be conscious when handling or during feeding that bites do happen even from snakes that one may consider to be a placid animal.

If I can just add on here on the topic of aspen bedding, how often (if at all) should I completely empty it out and re-fill with all fresh? If that makes sense. Or is it fine to just spot clean and top up areas as needed?

Most people that I know that use aspen spot clean and then clean out and replace it every month or two depending on the frequency of feeding.

What George said. Spot clean as required and a complete clean out every month or 2.

I predict that you'll flinch or jump when he strikes. it can give you a little fright the first time.
I still flinch slightly when feeding and that is after more than ten years of keeping.

Attempting to pull your hand out of the way when a bite occurs is a natural automatic reflex action which is built into our nervous system and cannot be controlled consciously.

Agree with this 100% too.
I've been around snakes for more than 30 years and if they catch you unawares basic instinct kicks in. The key is to remain aware at all times. If you are in the enclosure doing anything you always have one eye on the snake. Other than hatchies I have avoided being bitten completely for about 6 years, (been bitten twice in the last 15 by decent sized snakes, I don't count the small ones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back