Feral pigs eating turtles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The stomach contents have obviously been arranged to highlight the number of turtles.
The turtles are perfectly normal looking young of the Flatback Turtle (Natator depressus), a species which only breeds around northern Australia and in fairly specific spots.

Blue

Maybe the pig swallowed them whole and was shot the same day

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Awfully skilled pig when it comes to catching that many turtles, that would be my only reality query...

I'm assuming the people posting that this looks fake haven't done many necropsies in their time. That is precisely what recently eaten baby turtles would look like. And Jack, in answer to you question, sea turtles emerge from their nests at the same time. This pig was obviously beach combing when it came upon a hatching nest. You will also notice each of these turtle hatchlings have been crushed ie. was chewed before being swallowed. There are also shell fragments suggesting the pig dug down to the actual nest cavity.

Pigs are not herbivores, they are omnivores, they will kill and eat everything from bugs to lambs. This is not uncommon. In some areas you can find burrowing frogs by the hundreds... by cutting open a pig's stomach. They are a devastating animal on the Australian landscape. The link above demonstrates that nicely.

No signs of bite marks, missing limbs, crushed bodies...?

Pig must've swallowed them like whales do to plankton.

Don't be that person. Hatchling flatbacks fit in your palm. Crabs can predate them. An adult pig can swallow your fist. Disregarding that, if you look at the photo you will see the hatchlings are crushed, and in fact DO have missing pieces. This isn't some big conspiracy to make you not like feral pigs.

I'm assuming the people posting that this looks fake haven't done many necropsies in their time. That is precisely what recently eaten baby turtles would look like. And Jack, in answer to you question, sea turtles emerge from their nests at the same time. This pig was obviously beach combing when it came upon a hatching nest. You will also notice each of these turtle hatchlings have been crushed ie. was chewed before being swallowed. There are also shell fragments suggesting the pig dug down to the actual nest cavity.

Pigs are not herbivores, they are omnivores, they will kill and eat everything from bugs to lambs. This is not uncommon. In some areas you can find burrowing frogs by the hundreds... by cutting open a pig's stomach. They are a devastating animal on the Australian landscape. The link above demonstrates that nicely.

Your right on the money there. Feral cats are just as bad.

That would be my assumption also, pig discovering nest. Not really denying it just saying that would be the only query.

Don't be that person. Hatchling flatbacks fit in your palm. Crabs can predate them. An adult pig can swallow your fist. Disregarding that, if you look at the photo you will see the hatchlings are crushed, and in fact DO have missing pieces. This isn't some big conspiracy to make you not like feral pigs.

I'm not denying that the turtles were killed/eaten by the pig. I'm just saying that manipulating the shot by laying all the turtles out neatly (notice they're all facing the same way) kinda leads to people's doubts & takes the focus away from the real issue.

I'm not denying that the turtles were killed/eaten by the pig. I'm just saying that manipulating the shot by laying all the turtles out neatly (notice they're all facing the same way) kinda leads to people's doubts & takes the focus away from the real issue.

How would you have taken that photo?

Don't even get me started on the greens mate. They would ban private reptile keeping if they could

10389976_537940212983223_8282350989528764901_n.jpg

The point of the arrangement of the contents is to highlight the range and numbers of prey items found in stomachs (and is often done this way for photographs). If they just cut it open and took a pic it would not give a true indication of stomach contents as you would just see a pile of 'things'. This way it is clear exactly what is being eaten and how much, rather than relying on printed figures with no visual proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back