Ferret vs cat...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
@sharky i think this is the perfect time 4 u 2 share a pic of your little one :D he sounds cute lol

He's probably the hardest of my animals to photograph (He has a habit of jumping shoulder to shoulder and wanted to jump on the camera man...if people lined up in a straight line he'd probably hop along person to person :lol: ) but here's my little Beowulf :)

Get a cat.

Ferrets even if tame, after a while of not being Handle they will start biting again. You can toilet train them etc but to be honest they are pretty discusting animals. You can 'try' to keep them clean and the smell down but if you don't show them attention constantly they will smell and act up. Actually when I think about it cats are amazing compared to ferrets.

I highly recommend NOT getting a ferret, seriously. I'm never getting them again I'm actually considering acquiring a main coon cat or something diffirent then alley cats iv always had. What I do know for sure tho is I'm never getting ferrets ever again and proberly never getting another dog. People don't talk enough about how high maintance these animals are. These animals are alot of work, headaches etc that effect your life slightly, but we do love them tho.

Get a cat.

Ferrets even if tame, after a while of not being Handle they will start biting again. You can toilet train them etc but to be honestI they are pretty discusting animals. You can 'try' to keep them clean and the smell down but if you don't show them attention constantly they will smell and act up. Actually when I think about it cats are amazing compared to ferrets.

I highly recommend NOT getting a ferret, seriously. I'm never getting them again I'm actually considering acquiring a main coon cat or something diffirent then alley cats iv always had. What I do know for sure tho is I'm never getting ferrets ever again and proberly never getting another dog. People don't talk enough about how high maintance these animals are. These animals are alot of work, headaches etc that effect your life slightly, but we do love them tho.

I disagree. I've got 5 ferrets, and wouldn't change them for the world. Like any animal that's kept in a cage, how dirty they are is entirely up to the owner. As far as handling/biting goes, mine get fairly minimal handling (compared to what a lot of pet ferrets get) and they are all extremely tame. The only reason I wouldn't leave them alone with children is because children are awful and would probably hurt them. The last time I was bitten by one of mine was about 2 years ago, and that was because he had his toe caught in the cage, twisted around a full 360 degrees, the poor little tacker was in agony. Just like a dog or a cat, if you teach them that biting is not acceptable, then they won't bite. That won't change over the lifetime of the ferret unless something happens to make it change, like mistreatment or neglect.
Yes they have their own unique smell that certainly doesn't agree with everyone, but I've found generally that you either accept it or you don't. That is to say that most people will smell a ferret for the first time and be able to tell straight off the bat if they can deal with it.

As for toilet training, they are pretty easy to toilet train, but when free ranging you have to remember that they are a small animal with a small digestive system and a very fast metabolism. They can only hold it for so long, so are much more likely to have accidents where they're not supposed to than a bigger animal like a cat.

Of course having animals will have an effect on your life. Why else would you keep them? Why would you get an animal without doing enough research to determine exactly what you can expect from said animal?

- - - Updated - - -

ETA: ferrets vs cats?
Ferrets. Always, absolutely, 180% ferrets.

My little sister never does research.... All she cares about is the cuteness.... We'll most likely take care of it even though she's 14

- - - Updated - - -

Ok so my parents and sister are still insisting a cat but as I'm sure you can guess I'm not really on with that with them...
Even though I know they are a larger breed how are ragdolls around other animals? I have read afew things where people are saying that their rag and birds do get along but of course that's not always the case...
how much exercise do they need cos I've heard that they are very relaxed and stuff. Could it just live in my sisters bedroom(average size) or would it still need a lot of time out? I have been looking up the smaller breeds but they all sound very active. I know Devon Rexs definitely are!!!

Last edited:
Tbh, if she's not going to do the right thing by it, I'd recommend a cat. I think ferrets are better pets by far, but cats cope better with neglect, and a cat won't be stuck ina cage, so if she doesn't clean out the litter tray often enough, it'll just use her stuff as a toilet instead of being forced to live in it's own filth.
I can't really help with cat breeds, but it sounds like it will be an inside only cat? That's an excellent start! :)

Tbh, if she's not going to do the right thing by it, I'd recommend a cat. I think ferrets are better pets by far, but cats cope better with neglect, and a cat won't be stuck ina cage, so if she doesn't clean out the litter tray often enough, it'll just use her stuff as a toilet instead of being forced to live in it's own filth.
I can't really help with cat breeds, but it sounds like it will be an inside only cat? That's an excellent start! :)

Lol, I like the comment in the middle about it using her stuff:lol:! That's one thing that has also been on my mind with a cat:rolleyes:

[MENTION=34464]princessparrot[/MENTION] I think most cats would be okay with smaller "prey" animals if they're bought up with them as a young kitten, common sense and cats is the key, obviously you wouldn't ever leave them alone, unsupervised with small animals. My ragdoll basically lives in my daughters room day and night, free willingly. so being in one room may not be a problem if it feels safe & secure in there, also having a good bond with said sister rather than someone else in the house will help with it liking being in that one area. probably not ideal to feed it in there or have kitty litter in a bedroom though :S Ragdolls are a slow developing breed however, they take 3-4 years to get to maturity, it's also said that their fur is hypoallergenic, not 100%, but they cause less or no reaction, apparently. they're also quiet and have a soft, sort of melodic meow cross purr noise lol which i think is a good thing as some cats can be quite vocal and demanding which is kind of annoying lol the Scottishfold and the Snowshoe are smaller breeds that apparently have high "other pet" adaptability :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back