Field Study - Boyd’s Forest Dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
why on earth do a PHD on Boyd's 'Forest Dragons , when a gentleman called Jordie Torr (forgiven the spelling) did his PHD on the same species, isn't about time that unii people did something useful and study the effect of wild pigs on the Boyd's Forest Dragon , cause you only have to go into any rainforest up north and u can see the problem that reptiles and cassowaries have with wild pigs destroying their habitat, we seem to concentrate on the native animals and not on the effects that introduced species do to the natives, habitat lost is the greatest problem they face, and yes people are worried about telling uni people where to find these reptiles as we know that yes some are held as specimens (dead) all in the name of science

Christ! You go and tell them mate. :rolleyes::?
Jim Mitchell has done PhD on feral pigs with the Rainforest CRC. Have you read his papers?

Last edited:
why on earth do a PHD on Boyd's 'Forest Dragons , when a gentleman called Jordie Torr (forgiven the spelling) did his PHD on the same species, isn't about time that unii people did something useful and study the effect of wild pigs on the Boyd's Forest Dragon , cause you only have to go into any rainforest up north and u can see the problem that reptiles and cassowaries have with wild pigs destroying their habitat, we seem to concentrate on the native animals and not on the effects that introduced species do to the natives, habitat lost is the greatest problem they face, and yes people are worried about telling uni people where to find these reptiles as we know that yes some are held as specimens (dead) all in the name of science

Why isn't this information that SofieB is trying to study important?

The study of genetics, distribution of genetics within populations and genetic patterns can be important tools in both future wildlife management and the overall understanding of the species themselves.

You are correct Jedi and study in any field is important and Sofie will do great at obtaining her PHD, I just think that there should be more study on the effect of habitat loss and so forth , if one has ever been up to the rainforests in the tropics you can see what has occurred , its a shame that more isn't done to save these great reptiles

There has been a lot of work done on habitat loss too, doesn't make this study less important, particularly when managing a species that may be quite disjointed in it's distribution

There are many reasons and much deliberation that goes into choosing a particular PhD project. I am from the Wet Tropics and I know of many issues that the region has. I don’t want to get the thread off topic so I will leave it there.

Back to the original post. Please PM me if you know of any populations of Boyd’s Dragons around the Wet Tropics.

Last edited:
Why don't you do the study if you are that passionate about it?

There you have it SofieB - you obviously made a mistake when you chose your topic :)! Not only might you get the advice you actually asked for here, but you'll get heaps more that you didn't ask for from the peanut gallery. Snakeg56 is obviously the man of the moment... get rid of your current supervisor and let this fellow set your priorities!

If I recall, SofieB asked for advice on populations of BFDs, not suggestions that she may have erred in the selection of her study topic. The abject rudeness of some of these responses is astounding!

Jamie

This has turned into a great thread
I admit I had my doubts at the beginning because of a lack of information but it has turned out well

Perhaps it will help in the future

If anyone is worried about my credentials please PM me directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back