Field Trip Report: Western Kimberley

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nephrurus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day all,
I've got bored, so heres something I've put together this afternoon.
This is a quick run down of a 2 week trip i had in the West Kimberley. We were up their camping and doing a bit of exploring through the coastal areas. We were never more than about 10kms from the coast, and saw quite a few species that have incredibly limited distributions. We saw a heap of cool stuff, but i only got photos of a small percentage of it.
I had a great time, and i hope you all enjoy the photos. I apologise for putting my name on the photos, but a friend had some photos he'd posted copied and reused on another website without his permission. You can't be too careful!

First of all, some habitat shots.
This area is largely incredibly rugged King Leopold sandstone.Some areas are basalt intrusions. There are small patches of monsoonal rainforest at the base of sandstone cliffs. By and large i was getting around in the sandstone areas.
DSCN4584.jpg

DSCN4585.jpg

DSCN4586.jpg

Here is the view from one of the hills we climbed.

CopyofLandscape1.jpg

One of the first critters we caught was the Superb dragon Diporiphora superba.
I found a pair sitting about 6ft from the ground in the branches of a Terminalia sp. in a shady, sheltered gully. Subsequent animals were found in low dense scrub with regrowth Eucalypts (probably 4 years since last burnt).
DSCN4518.jpg

DSCN4824.jpg

DSCN4820.jpg

At night several gecko species were common on the rock platforms. Two Gehyra species and two Oedura species were the only gecko species found while we wsree out there.

Gehyra nana and Gehyra xenopus were two species commonly found on vertical rock faces at night and were often active in the late afternoon. Here is a Gehyra xenopus. I didn't get any shots of Gehyra nana on this trip.
DSCN4753.jpg

Oedura obscura were frequently picked up in Acacia sp. on the rock platforms on warm nights. They were also picked up underneath flat rocks.
DSCN4786.jpg

This specimen was sheltering beneath a rock with a Oedura gracilis.
DSCN4429.jpg

Here he is with his friend!
DSCN4421.jpg

Oedura gracilis are also incredibly common on the rock platforms. On warm nights adults and juveniles could be found running across open spaces on the rock platform.
DSCN4738.jpg

DSCN4456.jpg

A few interesting non-reptiles turned up, and i thought they were worth a photo or two.
Here is an interesting grasshopper
DSCN4660.jpg

and scorpion!
DSCN4648.jpg

Litoria coplandi were very common near water. Often seen sitting by the water at night.
DSCN4766.jpg

More common were Litoria meiriana. They are able to jump across the water, earning them the common name "Jesus frog".
DSCN4442.jpg

Both these frogs, and most likely the geckos, would be delicious morsels for this spotty little ratbag. Northern Quolls quickly became interested in our campsite, and attacked out powdered milk. Heres a photo of one cleaning himself after a foray to the food hamper.
DSCN4799.jpg

Other mammal species sighted were Narbalek, Monjon and Golden Bandicoot.

Some of the most spectacular species we found are the two common goannas common to the west kimberley.
Varanus glebopalma juveniles were active during the day, hunting grasshoppers and foraging for other insects. Adults were also seen, but were harder to photograph.
DSCN4629.jpg

DSCN4378.jpg

The other species we saw was Varanus glauertii. They were commonly seen in the late afternoon on the rock platform. Very fast, very difficult to photograph.

DSCN4842.jpg

DSCN4828.jpg

DSCN4840.jpg

And that concludes the report... I hope you enjoyed it, and hope it inspires you to go out and see some of this country!

All the best,

-H

Last edited:
it seems you missed a ] out of most of the url's

henry, gotta ask you something, pming now.

oh, and forgot to say, awsome pics

Yeah.... I am :):)

Where else would you expect to see them?

The Himalaya? ;););)

-H

Last edited:
'Coz from my recollections (and I don't have access to my books so can't confirm exact location) they aren't found in the Kimberleys, they're over on the West coast and some offshore islands.

:p

Hix

Wow :shock:

Some amazing photos there, I would love to have seen all those creatures first-hand.

I have never even heard of 'Superb Dragons' before, but geez they look amazing; are they ever kept in captivity?

West Coast? Thats where i was! :) Where do you think "West" Kimberleys is? ;););):p

From my recollections, I was in the Kimberley, and i actually saw a bunch of them! In fact, I believe they are endemic to the region.... :p

-H

Wow :shock:

Some amazing photos there, I would love to have seen all those creatures first-hand.

I have never even heard of 'Superb Dragons' before, but geez they look amazing; are they ever kept in captivity?

Not in captivity! Pretty spectacular though...

-H

I wasn't aware the Kimberleys went all the way to the coast, but then I've never been there so that's my error. I just kmow that MOnjon are extremely uncommon and, being crepuscular/nocturnal, are very rarely seen. Narbarleks are sometimes mistaken for them. If you saw them, then good for you. I'm very jealous!

Great photos, too!

:p

Hix

Top photos mate! Would be a great spot to visit one day.

Great stuff H. Wonder what the significance of the extra long tails is? Seems to be a few diferent species that have developed extra-ordinarily long tails in that region.
Good to see you had a good time (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back