Field Trip Report: Western Kimberley

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hix: The kimberley does include the high rainfall "sub humid" region on the coast. Turns out monjon aren't that uncommon, just in incredibly inaccessible places. The person who has seen more than anyone i know is the chopper pilot. He generally finds a nice spot to land and sits down and quietly does some paperwork.... the monjon come out and see him! If you are walking along the top of rock platforms you can easily flush them.
Narbaleks are much bigger and have a bushier tail and a black armpit. Small short eared rock wallabies can be mistaken for narbaleks. I'd recommend a trip to the Kimberley for anyone who wants to see some amazing country (You should get up there Hix!).

Bung: I was there for 2 weeks

-H

Fantastic H, totally awsome......green with envy........

donk

Nice Liocheles sp. scorp there, would love to know what it keys out to. Rest of the pics are great too, got a soft spot for the Varanids ;)

Gotta get up there
Jordan

wow !!! Thank you for putting that together it was very informative. great photography love it !!!

I've got to put together another bunch of photos from the remaining 5 weeks i spent up there. They'll be posted in about a week and a half.

-H

hey henry
its matt from FATS. some great pics.
are you going to smiths lake. if so, should be good. bit later into the season than when we normally go. should be lots of herps.
cheers matt.

wow fantastic pics, every time i see photography from that area im more and more inspired to get up their

'Coz from my recollections (and I don't have access to my books so can't confirm exact location) they aren't found in the Kimberleys, they're over on the West coast and some offshore islands.

:p

Hix

well according to books there are no green ones in innisfail... but theyre there!
you cant expect books to be 100% right!
ive caught womas in Mt isa...
read all the books you want, you cant believe everything a paper herpetologist says!

MattMc,

Smiths Lake should be fun! We might be doing a bit more survey sort of stuff as well... Should be fun!

I posted some pics last time i went up..... I'll just have a quick search for them,

DSCN1676.jpg

DSCN1651.jpg

DSCN1650.jpg

DSCN1599.jpg

DSCN1578.jpg

DSCN1589.jpg

DSCN1566.jpg

Should be a great trip, see you there,

-H

Lovely pics mate, thanx...I spose I should feel lucky to have lived in Broome for 3 years...There is some awesome scenery/land etc up there...

Regards...
Ash...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back