Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpshot232

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I love thesE animals I wish they weren't illegal as they are up there with the gtp for me. Are they illegal cause of the risk of being the new cane toad or does it pose a pest and diesease risk . Shorely the southern Australian environment can't sustain run aways . What are the views of the people that matter aps members ???

i belive they are illegle because they are a) an exotic and b) internationally illegal because they are CITES listed

From Australia Zoo:
Diet

"A Fijian Crested Iguana's diet is mainly herbivorous, eating a wide variety of leaves, shoots and fruits from trees and shrubs. They will also eat small insects from time to time. Their favorite food is from the "Vau" tree which bears sweet Hibiscus flowers and is also the species of tree they spend most of their time in. "

Good luck in caring for this rare creature which is getting closer and closer to the 'extinct' list. It's already on the critically endangered list.

If we start allowing these creatures, the illegal trade may continue to increase leaving wild populations even more threatened. Not so good.

Secondly - how could this creature be the 'new cane toad' - 1) it doesn't favour insects, although it may choose to eat them... 2) it has no poisons... 3) it wouldn't survive in the wild very well in the Far North because of the predatory issue (cats, dogs, snakes, people etc etc...).

I don't think the view of allowing exotics into the country will change - but even more so for critically endangered species!

and dont forget that fiji's cat problem is a walk in the park compared to australia's and cats are the sole thing thats just about wiped them out on the island

LMAO "the new cane toad" no that won't happen, nor will the veiled Cham population take over the Aussie bush...devastating native wildlife i it's tracks.......lol

i belive they are illegle because they are a) an exotic and b) internationally illegal because they are CITES listed

>They are not illegal in Europe but in the Us they are illegal as i understand. there is a big breeder of Fiji iguanas in Austria that exports all over Europe

What is the point of arguing over whether it could be a "new cane toad" and so on. We can't import exotics and that law is not going to change because a few herpers want to own a critically endangered lizard.

If you're concerned about its future and people really want to help this species, why not find out if there is a program to increase its numbers in its own environment and support that? But let's stop arguing about the pros and cons of importing them - it's not going to happen.

duh, anyhow they are a gobsmackingly nice lizard right up there with the emerald tree monitor (theyre native cant we have those lol)

heres a pic of one i took at perth zoo
fijiiguana.jpg

Their green is a mad seamless colour and wen the blue stripes across their body omg . I got to the zoos for them as a first priority and jealous of antresia boy holding one

heres a banded iguana from vanuatu and a couple pacific boas

Attachments

• vanuatu-boa3.jpg
    vanuatu-boa3.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 98
  • vanuatu-iguana1.jpg
    vanuatu-iguana1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 104
  • vanuatu-boa1.jpg
    vanuatu-boa1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 107
  • vanuatu-boa2.jpg
    vanuatu-boa2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 82
  • vanuatu-iguana2.jpg
    vanuatu-iguana2.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 109
Isn't it funny how people want what they can't have, I think its about time we concentrated on our own endangered species, but alas the governments around Australia won't let private keepers have and care for a lot of these species, We did not bring in the feral animals to this country we do not clear and devastate the environment, we look after the animals that are in our care, we don't do this for profit we do it cause of the thrill we get in seeing a snake or lizard hatch from an egg, from parents we have raised from hatchings, sure reptiles are sold but usually so we can finance other projects, there is more experience in the private sector than there are in zoos as keepers may add up to hundreds where private keepers are in their thousands. If we have to save these endangered species, than the governments must look closely at the private sector as well as the major zoological institutions. Feral animals must be controlled at any cost and if people could keep more native animals then maybe they won't have a cat.

is it school holidays or something? lol a CITES listed animal that nearly extinct the new cane toad, yea those siberian tigers are everywhere in adelade they should really start culling them

[deleted] captive breeding programs relieve the wild population demands as with the womas remember they were endangered how many are there now???

Isn't it funny how people want what they can't have, I think its about time we concentrated on our own endangered species, but alas the governments around Australia won't let private keepers have and care for a lot of these species, We did not bring in the feral animals to this country we do not clear and devastate the environment, we look after the animals that are in our care, we don't do this for profit we do it cause of the thrill we get in seeing a snake or lizard hatch from an egg, from parents we have raised from hatchings, sure reptiles are sold but usually so we can finance other projects, there is more experience in the private sector than there are in zoos as keepers may add up to hundreds where private keepers are in their thousands. If we have to save these endangered species, than the governments must look closely at the private sector as well as the major zoological institutions. Feral animals must be controlled at any cost and if people could keep more native animals then maybe they won't have a cat.
This is why i hunt

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back