File snakes near Fogg Dam, NT

Discussion in 'Field Herping and Reptile Studies' started by n3xia, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n3xia

n3xia Active Member

Hey guys, just thought I'd share some shots taken on Friday night out near Fogg Dam of some Arafura file snakes making their way across wetlands to permanent rivers etc.
    Discoveries include:
    • Bird droppings covering a bridge over the stream - they must have had a smorgasbord in recent weeks because my friend said there were "hundreds" of snakes crossing this area.
    • Cane toad - meh
    • Juvenile green tree frog
    • About five arafura file snakes
    • Hundreds of small guppies/fish
    • Garden orb weaver spider(?)

The party I went with - about a dozen people - consisted of local couchsurfing.org hosts and their surfers - basically, tourists who stay in people's homes for free. Origins included France and the UK. It was quite the experience as many had never held a snake before.

Check out my blog post for more info.

Attached Files:

2. phatty

phatty Well-Known Member

got to love wet socks

3. Brodie

Brodie Very Well-Known Member

One of the best times of the year. Will never forget going through that little NP, stopping at the bridge and scooping hundreds of fileys out a time. When conditions a right, there is a bridge at fogg dam that fills with hundreds of macleays watersnakes too.

Have you seen any mulgas around? Them and adders used to be very common in that area (10+ of each a night). After the cane toads arrived the mulgas were gone, only saw 3 in 2 years. Adders were still around, saw one every couple of trips.

I miss Darwin

4. n3xia

n3xia Active Member

We didn't see any on Friday, although my friend has been there a few times and seen some vens. She also saw a couple of sets of what could only be croc eyes - one had eyes far apart enough to be 3m or so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.