Finally finished my first enclosure, a converted tv unit

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snapped

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd better update as I asked back in August for help with it.

It is 99% done, just need to put the castor wheels on and add some greenery/decorations to the main enclosure.

Okay, started off with a free entertainment unit. Bonus. At this stage I'd taken out the shelves on both sides, dismantled the drawers, cut through (with jigsaw)from the middle to the left side and cut through both bottom shelves to access the full height, and had started to paint the backboards.

I was making it a double enclosure - my Murray Darling in the main part, and the smaller side for my RSP.

attachment.php

I bought a sheet of marine ply and some aquarium backing for the smaller enclosure, made a heat pipe out of pvc pipe, a heat mat & fake grass.

attachment.php
attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

Made a heat tile (thanks to the idea I pinched from PythonMum)...it's just a wooden frame with a heat cord looped through cup hooks, covered with flywire on the bottom and covered with a tile/s.
It's pretty consistent heat, I used a 15w heat cord as I wanted to play safe in case the
thermostat failed. I'm getting around 31-33
attachment.php

attachment.php

I used acrylic sheets for the sliding doors, plastic tracks from Bunnings which I put on the sides as well for stability. Led lighting.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Just need to put on the castor wheels and add some home made vines to the main part, my next project.
Snakes love it by the way. For my first build, I'm really pleased.

- - - Updated - - -

And happy snakes.

attachment.php

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-001.jpg
    FullSizeRender-001.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_5968-001.jpg
    IMG_5968-001.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_6048.JPG
    IMG_6048.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_6044.JPG
    IMG_6044.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_6047.JPG
    IMG_6047.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_6051.JPG
    IMG_6051.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 596
  • IMG_6176.JPG
    IMG_6176.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 575
  • IMG_6243.JPG
    IMG_6243.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_6308.JPG
    IMG_6308.JPG
    110 KB · Views: 576
  • IMG_6313.JPG
    IMG_6313.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_6316.JPG
    IMG_6316.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_6315.JPG
    IMG_6315.JPG
    104.1 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_6276.JPG
    IMG_6276.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 562
  • IMG_6291.JPG
    IMG_6291.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_6309.JPG
    IMG_6309.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 565
Last edited:
Great enclosure conversion here :)

To help keep the sliding glass pristine we recommend getting our Sliding Glass Finger Grips - https://virides.ecwid.com/#!/Sliding-Glass-Finger-Grips/c/16435379/offset=0&sort=normal

They come in many designs, but our most popular is the clear range. They are so clear that at about 2m from the enclosure they seem to disappear, so you won't have obstruction from the view of your animal but you will retain their functionality. They help ensure that finger prints/smudges don't occur from opening the panel.

[MENTION=41800]Virides[/MENTION] Ah yes, I was planning on getting your finger grips when I do the finishing touches, so do they attach to Acrylic (Perspex) as well?

[MENTION=34451]Snapped[/MENTION], Fabulous job mate, i certainly hope my long term project (also a converted TV unit) for my 2 Spotties turns out half as good as yours, love the way you made the heat pipes btw, did you use a rolled up heat mat on the inside of the pvc pipe?. ++++1. :) ...................Ron

Thanks Ron, it was quite a long term project for me too, I started it in late August, but had quite a few delays (sickness, lack of funds, couldn't be bothered lol etc)....the heat pipe is just that, a 13w heat matt rolled inside the pvc pipe, I got the idea from someone else who mentioned it on here...and wanted to try it out.

WA python care has all the info on their website, I'll link it here https://wapythoncare.wordpress.com/heat-pipe-2/

Attachments

• IMG_6040.jpg
    IMG_6040.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 484
  • IMG_6041.jpg
    IMG_6041.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 475
@Virides Ah yes, I was planning on getting your finger grips when I do the finishing touches, so do they attach to Acrylic (Perspex) as well?

They certainly will adhere to acrylic (Perspex) :)

The material by which you adhere to isn't a problem with how well they bond. If you were able to get concrete flat and smooth enough with little porosity, then they could stick to that as well! So with glass/acrylic/perspex having no porosity, our grips will bond equally as strong :)

They certainly will adhere to acrylic (Perspex) :)

The material by which you adhere to isn't a problem with how well they bond. If you were able to get concrete flat and smooth enough with little porosity, then they could stick to that as well! So with glass/acrylic/perspex having no porosity, our grips will bond equally as strong :)

Excellent, I'll be ordering a pair (maybe three, for future enclosures lol) soonish :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back