Finding a job

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zan777 that is an excellent idea and if you are good...well you never know where it might lead !!!!!!

Yes, certainly beats working at a fast food chain thats for sure. you also learn alot of skills that those sort of jobs dont prepare you for such as conflict resolution. Also certainly the afl has many opportunities to develop your skills even further such as squads and academies, and if you are realy keen pathways into the big league. contrasting that, if you are only after some cash you dont have to treat it with such commitment as i may and are still able to make a reasonable income. I would definitely recommend it!

I'm pretty sure to work in any food place, the law denotes you must be 14 and 9 months, unless the business is owned by your parents.

^ Yeah but heaps of places employ younger people, I'd only just turned 14 when I got my first 2 jobs.

Oh yeah that's just for food places!
You can get any job legally at 14 as long as you don't work with food, and any younger you'll need parental permission.
I'd reccommend perhaps a newsagents, if you can! Perhaps a toy store? Target?
You could always walk dogs for your neighbourhood! :) If you like animals that might be a good gig, I did that alongside babysitting when I was younger and wanted some extra cash.

Look into a school based apprenticeship mate. I started a school-based Carpentry apprenticeship at the start of 2010, 14 years old in year 10. I went full-time last year, and in only a few months, I'll be a 3rd year apprentice.
Before I'm 19 I'll be finished my apprenticeship and a qualified carpenter.

It's a great kick start, and if school isn't your thing, it's well worth it.

First of all.... GOOD LUCK .... keep motivated....keep trying no matter how many knock backs you get...and as someone else has already said....LOOK NEAT AND TIDY all the time...present well, it's really very important no matter what sort of job you do. You might not necessarily like the job, but just think of the money at the end of it. If you do voluntary work, let the people there know you're looking for paid work. See if you can get a couple of references...maybe an old school teacher would write one for you, or someone you know who holds a responsible job......keep your cool...do what's asked of you even if you don't like it. Some of the biggest millionaires in the world have started off washing cars for a living....now that's another thought....maybe you could go to a car yard and see if they'd pay you to wash their cars....ask lots and lots of people for ideas....give everything a go just once..... :p

a pet shop would be great, Iv already set up most my apprentership i just need my white card then i can start if i feel like it im pretty keen on a appentership now :D i lack motorvation but at least iv finished my resume haha :D

1. Create a professional looking resume.
2. Ensure you have plenty of availability (not just one day a week).
3. Put some effort into your clothes and general appearance.
4. Go to every store you can think of, ask to please speak to the manager (if he/she isn't in, ask when they will be in so you can come back then). Present as enthusiastic and confident, enquire about possible positions available.

Whatever you do, don't just walk in off the street, mumble something about looking for work to whoever happens to be working and hand over your resume before leaving.

Works hard to find at this time of the year, I was looking for work for months this time last year, closest I got was an interview for a trainee biological research position at QUT.
But I went into my local petstore one day to get crickets, and the lady remembered me and my resume from months ago, and gave me a trial and now I have the job! :D

Just apply everywhere you're bound to find something. If you're doing nothing at all, Tafe courses are a good idea to get a step ahead. Or contact an agency like on-q, tursa to help you find work. Sometimes it works, lol.

Liam maybe another way for a start in the world of working. Is just go up to your local garage/mechanic or car dealer and ask for the manager, offer your services like a job of tidying up around the place sweeping floors or along those lines.
Few hours after school and a saturday.
More of a less formal approach as opposed to Resume's and applications.

Also, look into working at service stations. Mechanics workshop, as a helping hand and what not is a good start, and you'd learn a lot.

Can't help you other then to say, its never what you know but who you know. Be nice to everyone all the time ...you never know who can help you.

I'm guessing your leaving after year 10? what type of apprenticeship are you planning on doing? Hope you know what a left handed screwdriver is ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back