Fined $15000 exotic snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cracksinthepitch

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Found this in my local paper today. It refers to an individual that has been recommended to me for good quality snakes. What is peoples opinions on this? These imports could be transporting the stated diseases, surely this would be a major concern if buying from individual.Hmmmmmmmmmmm:shock:

Attachments

• Borg fined.jpg
    Borg fined.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 493
i think that it is good that he is getting punished for what he has done he could have done more damage if he wasnt caught i think that the laws are there for a reason and shouldnt be broken so someone can wake up and see there pet chameleon in a tank

For sure it would be a concern if you had purchased snakes from him! $15,000.00 is better than other fines handed out in the past. A good start but still not enough to be a real deterrent. He should be barred from owing licenced animals in the future.

bizzare that he was allowed to keep his licence, but still good to see that some action is finally being taken.

Yeah, surprising that he was allowed to keep his license, but it might actually be a good thing. At least DEC can now monitor him as they can do spot checks to make sure everything is above board. If he was no longer allowed to keep natives then he would probably continue keeping exotics (or unlicensed natives) and DEC wouldn't be able to do anything unless they had evidence he was keeping them again, although i bet he wouldn't try selling them anymore. :) So while that is a plus, really he shouldn't be allowed the privilege to be keeping natives but that's life.

Mrbredli he is advertising and i assume still selling snakes on petlink as well With the possibility of the importation of the diseases listed in the article ,does this concern you and would you purchase of him? I dont think i would now. Interested in peoples thoughts.

Better then a slap on the wrist but what a joke he gets to keep his license.

If they were really worried that those snakes has opmv, ibd, then surely his entire collection would be suspect and taken from him? or did that happen and i read it wrong :red:

I would not buy anything from him and i'm glad he was caught. I hope all the others pricks advertising exotics on Petlink get their turn as well.

The disease risk is probably not as high a risk as most would believe, as most exotics in Australia have been here a long time and are multi-generation captive bred. Disease risk would be much higher if they were fresh imports which they almost certainly would not have been.

Why do they need to go through the courts to suspend his license? Can the DSE just not reinstate his license come September?

Jen you read it right, amazing isnt it. but as Mr bredli stated they were probably captive bred 3rd generation or more. Still 15 grand is a large fine hope they amend their ways.

He'd be stoked with a $15K fine. He'd have made more than that for the sales he made.

I can't believe he is allowed to keep his licence though.

About time a Magistrate imposes a maximum penalty and serve this guy right, putting other people's collections at risk so he can line his own pocket.

Don't worry this guy will be watched very closely by the relevant authorities now.

At least its more than a slap on the wrist, hopefully he ands others will thing twice before attempting such a costly mistake again.

Makes you wonder about the "Black market" though. I wonder how widespread it is . Many people say they have been approached by people on the street asking if they want corns or others. When i was 20 i went fruit picking near Shep and a yankee bloke just had his motorbike sent over on a ship in a container,he asked me if i wanted rattlesnake eggs:shock: Didnt know much about the processes and law at that time and just said no, should have reported him to police.

Just because he broke the law, does not mean he doesn't look after his animals - I beleive this would have been taken into consideration, and unfortunely it is soley left up to the judge to decide on this matter.
Good to know his name though will not be buying snakes from his direction any time soon - better to be safe then sorry!!

Makes you wonder about the "Black market" though. I wonder how widespread it is . Many people say they have been approached by people on the street asking if they want corns or others. When i was 20 i went fruit picking near Shep and a yankee bloke just had his motorbike sent over on a ship in a container,he asked me if i wanted rattlesnake eggs:shock: Didnt know much about the processes and law at that time and just said no, should have reported him to police.

Hahahaha, you make me laugh :)
rattlesnake_eggs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back