Fined $15000 exotic snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
more than the criminal element at stake in this one though. Me thinks someone just likes an arguement........

15 grand is nothing for these smugglers,as an example think of the impoted green tree pythons,say they sold 2 exotic illegally imported gtp,s,they would make 15 grand easily,thats why they blatantly risk importing in the first place,as the risk is worth it,especially if they dont lose there licence,what a joke,thats how so many aussie animals pop up in the states,as when there caught they cop a hefty fine,but the fine is nothing compared to the funds they make selling the animals,amazing how the departments give them a slap on the wrist,it really isnt a deterant at all,absolute joke

Not really the departments fault, they took them to court the magistrate imposed the punishment.

The problem with issuing larger fines is that these people will pay their fines by bringing in money in the way they know best. Fine a burglar, cause burglaries. Fine a smuggler, cause smuggling.

Take away his license and he goes underground, they can't keep track of him any more.

Having a nice disposition removes your obligation to do the right thing, huh? Very interesting. I wonder why he didn't use that excuse in court, surely the magistrate would have dismissed the case.

itbites: if there are unusual circumstances surrounding this incident and you're so keen to defend your friend, why don't you enlighten everyone? What he has done puts us all at risk from several different aspects (keeping regulation changes, diseases, etc) and it's no surprise that people are angry and resentful. Sticking up for him with no more reason than "He is a nice guy" is just going to make people think "Yeah, right, nice smuggler, nice liar, nice person who put puts my situation at risk, grr" and also turn them against you too. You accuse people of taking information from a misleading/biased source, but all people are angry about is the fact that he was smuggling illegal exotics, which is fact.

true junglepython,i assumed the dse could take a licence away though,i dont know matt personally but know someone that used to get rats from him and heard he was a nice guy ect,theres no doubt there,but he tried selling exotics,juvies and plead guilty,thats what he has been busted for,whats he sold in the past??????

15 grand is nothing, joke of a fine. for him to have even come close to being investigated, i would bet that he has sold 5 times that amount in exotics.

Im surprised and disappointed in the DSE for breaking their policy by not taking and destorying all the exposed animals and not taking his right to a wildlife license away. Because of this case I know several people with recent wildlife convictions that had their lic taken away by DSE demand they get theirs back. Ive known matt for some time and think he should of and certainly does deserve a harsher pently.

Protecting our wildlife? by smuggling snakes that could potentially be carrying diseases deadly to our natives?

What a tool.

Is this the same guy , ( a long-time member of the imfamous APS ) ,that got busted smuggling in GTP's recently ? , or a new smuggler ? .
Lucky for us , that they are only in it for the love of reptiles , and not in it for the money .LOL

WHAT A JOKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

no it's a different bloke. seems it's only the tip of the ice burge . complete scum i reckon.

no it's a different bloke. seems it's only the tip of the ice burge . complete scum i reckon.

Thanks for clearing that up for me .

So that means another bit of trash was busted . LOL

I think itbites has a crush on him. Love makes you do funny things. Why else would you so strongly be defending these actions :)

Was this guy actually importing stuff from overseas? or was he just selling cb exotics that have the same chance of carrying disease as legal native species? (Im not trying to stick up for him, its just that i think ppl importing illegally from overseas should be executed, not fined $15G ;) )

$15 grand sounds quite fair if he wasnt bringing stuff into the country IMO.

No need to attack people in topics.
Instead to clean this thread, it will be closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back