firearms ownership

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally unless you live on a farm I don't think you should be able to keep them at home they should be locked up at the club or local cop shop when not being used.

Ben

That must be a joke do you know how many police stations have been broken in to and there guns stolen?

Bowen (QLD)

The Police Station was broken into and the safe containing the pistols was broken into, every service pistol stolen.
West end Brisbane.
Twenty Firearms stolen including five m4 assault rifles

There have been many more then these two all so..

I think the firearms laws are ok. The only thing I think could be improved is the safety training courses prior to city slickers getting there licences, they should be longer and more intense. I feel that alot of people who are not brought up around them & aren't in a rural environment, turn into gun club nuts who just wanna shot 'stuff' and participate in the game council hunting scam's.

I only shoot 3 months of the year on various properties and wetland conservation area's culling foxes. Occasionally I may go out and bring home some venison.

I am a "city slicker" and I'm a better shot and more firearm safety savvy then 90% of farmers who's properties I shoot on.

I couldnt live without my rifles, Ive been shooting since i was a kid - Its a sport that many dont get but alot appreciate. People on this site keep more lethal weapons in cages then in safes. hahaha ;)

Attachments

• My Phone 025.jpg
    My Phone 025.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 135
I was contemplating the issue of vens vs guns....Im a firearm owner, and I find my guns do their own thing a lot less often then my snakes do, they are a machine afterall, you make them work how you want them to work.

Being one of the 'city slicker' mob, I find I'm constantly pulling up 'bushies' on firearm safety (mostly land owners kids who come out shooting with us). Nothing like having a 16yo pointing a loaded shotgun around with total disregard for safety, or leaving rounds in the chamber when in storage ('Is that loaded' 'Nah' *checks breech* - Loaded), or balancing a loaded gun, barrel down, on the tip of their boots.....

I grew up around guns, but it wasn't in the way that alot of bush kids did. I didn't just get given the safe keys and let run loose with them.

As much as I'd like a 10/22 or somesuch for rabbits, Im pretty happy with the current laws. I've used plenty of auto's and semi's, pump shotguns etc, and I can live the thought that they can't legally be bought.

Have my PTA but have come up against a brick wall... My rental landlords will not let me have a firearm in the house, and my mum won't let me keep it at my parents house.... sucks big time. Am itching to buy my first gun.

You told your landlords? :lol:
You wouldn't be able to keep it at your parents house unless one of them also held the same category of firearm license as yourself.

Storage at a gunshop or club maybe? Costs money, but so does a safe...

Yes I told them... what an idiot. Should have just said "a safe for valuables".

My dad also holds a Cat A&B licence, but mum says no no no

Call me a bad person, but I've always just (unobtrusively) bolted the safe to a bare section of slab, done a neat job of it, and filled in the holes upon leaving. Don't do it if you can't do a nice job of it, or if it will wreck something. Deep carpet in cupboards often hides the holes you drill if you drill through it when you take the bolts out, just put it in a back corner or something so its not so noticeable. Had 6 houses over the past few years, and even my housemates rarely knew I kept firearms. Just be sure you can do it well if you're going to do it.

Had the same issue with my mum.....funnily enough dad has the license's as well....

i think firearms are necessary in rural areas.
However with ALL things there are people who are not suitable to operate machinery. There is no right and wrong answer folks!! As long as the person uses the guns for sport targets, to cull pests or in emergency situations which require putting down livestock i feel this is fine. Its when some1 with mental issues or depression (which i have) then there may be a danger to the owner or innocent animals

A good mate has a rifle but his too happy to bring it out and show it off readily. I'm worried that his going to do something stupid with it one day. Hopefully it doesn't involve me!

i looked into firearms licencing and it looks like a major effort so i lost interest. plus if you get into pretty much any trouble with the law (esp. violent incidents, etc) you cant apply for a weapons licence for 10 years give or take. in my opinion i think the majority of licence holders are legit and use them sensibly.

Perhaps owning or using a rifle is totally unnecessary.... But then I think that about golf! :lol: Absolutely nothing wrong with guns if used for honest reasons.

Ever heard of any one being murdered by a game of golf? What honest reason can someone have for needing a gun, in the city? No one in the city needs a gun at home in the city.

As a city dweller I can't see the requirement for my fellow city dwellers to need a gun. No one NEEDS a gun. If you want to go to a gun range to get the thrill of firing a gun, fine but the gun should only be used there and hired. It doesn't need to be taken home and locked in a safe so you can take it back to the firing range again for use.

Ever hear of 'Paint Ball'?

As to rural folk, I understand a small need for pest control or as a means of humane destruction of livestock. what else could they need a gun for?

Self defence is not a reason to have a gun either. If guns were outlawed altogether then no one would have them. ( a little naive I know) I know you can say criminals will just use some other weapon such as a knife or whatever, but it is easier to defend against a knife than a gun. Ever tried to outrun a bullet?

That is all a bit academic.... No-one needs a snake either, and Im pretty sure if we look back a few hundred years we'll find that cars also aren't necessary for survival. :)

The point you may be missing is that many people that live in the city don't spend their whole lives there.

You're right though, outlawing guns doesn't work. It's easier for me to get a black gun than it is to get a legal one, just costs a little bit more. Just because they are illegal doesn't mean you can't get them, look at corns and boas.

Here is one for you guys, It is a Gamo 440 airgun .177, I rebuilt it and put a decent spring and new trigger in (original spring did not last very long and original trigger is crud). Shoots at about 850fps which punches a pellet through a tin at 50 meters.

Great for cane toads and feral rats. I put out a LED light with a bit of peanut butter under it and sit back and snipe the good old brown rat.

Group is from 15 meters.

View attachment 187641View attachment 187640

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back