First capture of a cane toad in the WA Pilbara

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't look 2 good.We were the 1's who put them here................w are the 1's going 2 face the consequences.

Thats just no good what so ever, when there spreading at the rate they are i know that there is a virus already been made and tested on the cane toads which kills them at a considerebly fast rate the government is just to scared to release it.

Thats just no good what so ever, when there spreading at the rate they are i know that there is a virus already been made and tested on the cane toads which kills them at a considerebly fast rate the government is just to scared to release it.
and why wouldn't they be? Who know what else it will kill and what morphs may happen in its make up.

I give it 10years,and all of Australia will have the damn things jumping around,Kill Em All.....

Doesn't look 2 good.We were the 1's who put them here................w are the 1's going 2 face the consequences.

There isnt anyone who can really be blamed, it was a bad mistake but they didnt know better at the time. Perhaps we could have a sorry day for it or something, Rudd would probably apologise for it.

Bio control can work, its just it isnt a very simple thing to get right and do safely. This is how we got cane toads to start with. Simply releasing a virus probably wont do much in the long run, wiping out cane toads will be an extremely complex task.

Bio control can work, its just it isnt a very simple thing to get right and do safely. This is how we got cane toads to start with. Simply releasing a virus probably wont do much in the long run, wiping out cane toads will be an extremely complex task.

Exactly,
We cannot keep releasing a "problem" to take care of an existing problem. That is the same thing that started with the cane beetles. This is all too cyclical, and we need to end the cycle.

I am glad they are being cautious, caution is what they should have used with the cane toads. What happens if the virus is compatible with other species, native species. That would only speed up the extinction of naive wildlife, species already threatened.

If they can find a "safe" virus to expand and destroy all the cane toads, perfect. However, I believe they need to do some serious testing to ensure that it will have no effects on native wildlife.

We're playing with fire here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back