Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cheekabee

Reaction score
First day of spring so I thought I'd go for a bit of a herp, still a bit cold in Melbourne but I found a couple of nice herps. Any ways here they are.P1040037.jpgP1040057.jpgP1040068.jpgP1040085.jpgP1040099.jpgP1040098.jpgP1040086.jpgP1040110.jpgP1040081.jpgP1040148.jpg

Na just lifted up a rock and found them all there nice and fat living like a family. Found this one dead though P1040143.jpg

very nice mate !
ill get there in the next few weeks !!

@TeKnO : they look pretty alive to me !!

Thanks guys. Pretty much any where really, places near a creek, grassy areas, national parks, reserves and just look under rocks, rubbish and just keep an eye out for anything sun bathing.

Last edited:
Nice work went herping myself today on the Mornington Peninsula found Weasel Skinks,Eastern Three-lined Skinks,Haswell's Froglet, Common Froglet, Delicate Skink and a Banjo Frog

Thanks Vicherps pretty good effort finding a Haswell's froglet never encountered one myself.

Nice pics ^^
Love the Gecko's snoozing, very cute :)

Well in my backyard today, dont need to go herping :lol:
I found:
1 x Pogona Barbata -
Eastern Bearded Dragon
1 x Pseudonaja textilis - Eastern Brown Snake
And I also noticed 2 x
Nephrurus Levis Levis - Smooth Knob-Tailed Gecko, mating and they were wild, never seen them around here but 100% Levis

Was fixing the fences up, noticed the brown, but even if I had the camera, he would of gone out of sight before I could get a pic, so I just watched him. Went next door and came back, noticed a Eastern Beardie camouflaged quite well on a tree, ran in to get my camera, came back out and he was gone. Put the camera back inside, came back out because my dog was barking and no joke, right in front of me, 2 Knobtails going at it. Was quite funny actually :p

Nice pics ^^

I found:
1 x Pogona Barbata -
Eastern Bearded Dragon
And I also noticed 2 x
Nephrurus Levis Levis - Smooth Knob-Tailed Gecko, mating and they were wild, never seen them around here but 100% Levis

Was fixing the fences up, noticed the brown, but even if I had the camera, he would of gone out of sight before I could get a pic, so I just watched him. Went next door and came back, noticed a Eastern Beardie camouflaged quite well on a tree, ran in to get my camera, came back out and he was gone. Put the camera back inside, came back out because my dog was barking and no joke, right in front of me, 2 Knobtails going at it. Was quite funny actually :p

Moral of the story, always carry a camera im the backyard ahhah :)

Yep, will learn that one, hopefully soon.
I bet that next time, I go back out to check the fences or do something else outside, I will take a camera, and I will see nothing, lol.

Nice pics ^^

I found:
1 x Pogona Barbata -
Eastern Bearded Dragon
And I also noticed 2 x

Incase you didn't known levis levis distribution is nowhere near Port Stephens if that's where you saw them. If it is along the coast where I think it is it's either captives or something else. They live in sandy arid habitats a habitat that is not found where you are.

BlackHeaded92, your location says Port Stephens. N. levis naturally occur in the western half (approx) of NSW . Unless you have moved, what you may seen was Nephrurus (Underwoodisaurus) milli, which looks very similar. Sprung doing the Spring thing. Haha.

Good pics. Nice looking Cunningham's, typically retreated to the safety of a rock crevice. Once in there they do not want to come out in a hurry.

Blue

Wild Geckos going during the day is damn unlikely in itself, 2 geckos of the same species 500+km outisde their known range going it in the day in the wrong habitat...

BlackHeadedPython92 Smooth Knob-tailed Geckos spend there time in burrows and Thick-tailed Geckos would be sheltering either in burrows,rocks,logs during the day. I presume when you say going at it you mean mating? Such activities would be done at night (should of read your post a bit more thoroughly to notice that you said you also found a Eastern Bearded Dragon and Brown Snake Eastern Beardeds being diurnal and Eastern Browns being mostly diurnal but they may be active at night but that happens in warmer weather).

If we are talking about around the eastern edge of its distribution in NSW for the Smooth Knob-tailed Gecko it would be more like 600-800km away from Port Stephens as a rough estimate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back