Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hence why I posted it here, they were 100% Levis Levis, I may not like Gecko's but they were 100% there.

So I am guessing someones pets have escaped or something or they have moved in. I have never seen them before and havn't seen them since.
Yes it was daylight, yes it was Levis Levis and yes they were mating.

Also I know there habitat, I know where they originate from etc. I couldnt believe it and honestly I wish I had of taken 50 pictures to show you. However I did not have my camera...

Hence why I posted it here, they were 100% Levis Levis, I may not like Gecko's but they were 100% there.

So I am guessing someones pets have escaped or something or they have moved in. I have never seen them before and havn't seen them since.

Also I know there habitat, I know where they originate from etc. I couldnt believe it and honestly I wish I had of taken 50 pictures to show you. However I did not have my camera...

I belive ya unlike the rest of em :)

I guess it possible but they would be captives being being active out in the open mating during the day would be abnormal behaviour, but photos would still be needed to confirm weather it was the species you say it is. Also you should hand them in to the appropriate wildlife authorities, bbut try and get pics first.

I would consider this event statistically impossible (where impossible is not defined as 0 but as a small enough number the rule out rational possibility).

Firstly, Nephrurus levis levis, NOT Nephrurus Levis Levis. Secondly you positively ID'd the sub-species? An ID which other than location wise (of which they were 600km from the nearest pop and you suspect escapees), requires complex morphometrics, and scale size and shape analysis, which for this species is still somewhat debated as to accuracy? That is absolutely preposterous and I wouldn't be prepared to believe it were you a scientist who had studied reptiles for decades (though of course I'd believe you to ID the species then).

So at the very best you can say you were sure they were Nephrurus levis. Just one levis, not two.

I wouldn't considered it impossible I would consider it highly unlikely.
Statistical impossibility - Conservapedia

Statistical Impossibility doesn't mean impossible, it's just such a low chance it mayaswell be impossible. And since if you tried to quantifiy this with actual numbers (which is pretty much impossible ;) ) you get a probability in the hundreds if not thousands of decimal places, I would certainly consider this statistically impossible.

That is absolutely preposterous and I wouldn't be prepared to believe it were you a scientist who had studied reptiles for decades (though of course I'd believe you to ID the species then).
You don't have to be a 'scientist' to id a species in the field of herpetology, your not a scientist (at least not at the professional level) and I'm sure you can id species.

That is absolutely preposterous and I wouldn't be prepared to believe it were you a scientist who had studied reptiles for decades (though of course I'd believe you to ID the species then).
You don't have to be a 'scientist' to id a species in the field of herpetology, your not a scientist (at least not at the professional level) and I'm sure you can id species.

- - - Updated - - -

Statistical impossibility - Conservapedia

Statistical Impossibility doesn't mean impossible, it's just such a low chance it mayaswell be impossible. And since if you tried to quantifiy this with actual numbers (which is pretty much impossible ;) ) you get a probability in the hundreds if not thousands of decimal places, I would certainly consider this statistically impossible.
Perhaps your right but that link does say that the probability is so low it is not worth mentioning but I think it is worth mentioning in this scenario that whilst what BlackHeaded92 probably saw was something else there is still a possibility that he saw escaped captives although it is highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Well they both looked extremely similiar to this Gecko:
smthtail4756.jpg

For starters, I will not be answering GeckPhotographers things, I could say so much to those but have chosen not to argue with someone when they are clearly set in their ways. I have already taken over a thread, sorry to the OP.
Anyway to richoman - I am not an idiot, I have been volunteering around reptiles for about 2 or so years. I know what the different species is.
Thank you vicherps for trying to help me out.
I am serious, they were at least ONE levis and they were mating out in broad daylight.

Edit: Also I am sorry that I dont like to stick cameras in the face of "wild animals" while they are trying to have a private session. If I would of have had my camera, yes I would have taken a few distance shots, even though it is only an iphone anyway as most of my money goes to my pets. Not to buy a $1000 at least, camera.

Last edited:
to the untrained eye that gecko can look extremely similiar to a thick tailed gecko which is most likely the case

Perhaps your right but that link does say that the probability is so low it is not worth mentioning but I think it is worth mentioning in this scenario that whilst what BlackHeaded92 probably saw was something else there is still a possibility that he saw escaped captives although it is highly unlikely.

You're right you don't have to be a scientist, I'm simply saying I'd be more trusting of someone who worked on geckos or reptile in general and highlighting that even these people wouldn't be able to ID ssp with certainty of an animal of unkown locale.

You can hold to your opinion on the second point that's fine. And is more an argument of symantics really. It's just my opinion that even the combined chance of escaped captives, happening to both have escaped, both met up, in the day time, be breeding in the day time, I just find it far to small a chance.

While I'd believe it if it were milii I'd still find that pretty unlikely.

Blackheaded, I've met you, and I quite liked you, you were a nice person. But you're right, my mind is made up, there is no way they were Nephrurus levis.

Blackheaded, I've met you, and I quite liked you, you were a nice person. But you're right, my mind is made up, there is no way they were Nephrurus levis.

I liked you as well Mate, I got a good Beardie off you and you are a nice person adn I would prefer it to stay that way. It looked very similiar, including the purply colour and yes they were mating in broad daylight, hence why I couldnt believe it myself and I said I am not a Gecko fan but these guys looked really nice.

You can hold to your opinion on the second point that's fine. And is more an argument of symantics really.
Don't you mean semantics.

You can hold to your opinion on the second point that's fine. And is more an argument of symantics really.
Don't you mean semantics.

- - - Updated - - -

You can hold to your opinion on the second point that's fine. And is more an argument of symantics really. It's just my opinion that even the combined chance of escaped captives, happening to both have escaped, both met up, in the day time, be breeding in the day time, I just find it far to small a chance.

While I'd believe it if it were milii I'd still find that pretty unlikely.

I think it would be unlikely being a thicky and very highly unlikely that Blackheaded saw Nephrurus levis levis and mating but I would not rule it out as statistically impossibly because even though it's highly unlikely there's still a possibility even if very slim that they were levis escapees and showing abnormal behaviour by being out in the day.

Last edited:
I know it sounds weird and I can understand why you guys do not believe me.
It was a purple Gecko that looked like levis levis and they were 2 that were mating, I know they were Geckos, I know they had a purple sheen and trust me, they were mating. Anyway they were Geckos mating.

So today, I had to go down the shops and noticed a dead RBB on my way, pulled over, had a look, seemed like someone had chopped its head off, no tire marks. I was furious as these are my favourite Australian Venomous Snake. Anyway, I looked around and noticed something else, looked like a bunch of rags with blood on and their dog wasnt there, they are neighbours of mine, I know there dog. So maybe the dog got bitten so they chopped its head off?

Hey guys, just belive him ! Have you not seen where people hook up tracking systems to animals and see how far they go ? Yeah there has been some cases where they have travelled double 600km ! So why isnt this possible on a gecko ? Its is possible, i for one 100% belive him, why would he lie ?

i never knew levis migrated into terrain where they would die

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back