The current enclosure for my Blue tongue skink is being returned to the previous owners, as they wanted their fish tanks back (they were given to us). So after a bit of panic, I was given the option of getting an enclosure once we moved to NSW next week, or building one now. I chose the latter option thinking it might be cheaper, and because I wanted to get some practice before we build the enclosures for our snakes. I've got until Monday to put together the majority of the enclosure, so it can be taken down with everything else. Another reason was from reading all the DIY threads on this forum, I was quite keen to give it a try. The decision to DIY it turned out to be the more expensive option, in terms of initial cost, simply because I've had to buy tools on top of the needed items. In the end the tools are going to be useful for the next few enclosure builds I have planned, so it was something I was willing to deal with. Cost so far: est $270.00. All items purchased sourced from Bunnings & Mitre 10. I still need to purchase lights, fittings and glass, but those will have to wait until we move, because I'm short on time and money. :lol: The tools Initially, I was going to make an enclosure with the measurements 1200x600x450, however the Bunnings I went to wasn't able to cut the melamine (something about a broken saw, or some such). I instead settled for an enclosure size of 1200x595x595, as I could use the enclosure for a different animal if I ever went with the idea of a bank enclosure for my Bluey and future Blueys, and well there was a guide on this very forum using those measurements. The melamine sheets I bought measured 1800x595x16 (and one 1800x295x16 for the top and bottom lips), they barely fit into the back of my mother's sedan. I'll be sourcing melamine from a cabinet maker in future, less stuffing around! The melamine sheets. I think it was $20.95 per 1800x595x16 sheet for a total of $62.85 for three, and $11.95 for the 1800x295x16 sheet. I decided to go with black as I liked the colour better. This added at least $15.00 of cost, and limited me to using small round black vents. I may still get white rectangular vents and just spray paint them, but for now I've got 4 28mm vents for either side. With the Bunnings saw out of commission, it meant I needed to cut the melamine myself. Not a prospect I was looking forward to. I had to ask my mother's boyfriend to demonstrate the use of a circular saw, before attempting to cut the melamine myself. After seeing how to do it, I was confident I could cut it without too much trouble. One side was cut a little wonky, with 2mm too much on the top edge. I scrapped that piece and cut another side out of the remaining 595x600 piece, which was fine seeing as I wanted a 595x563 side. This one came out perfect, matching up with the first side piece I cut. Starting to assemble the pieces. Don't mind the dusty/cobweb covered wood, it's a scrap piece that was pulled out from behind the hot water tank to level the corner clamps on. Matching the sides so that they were flush with each other was perhaps more frustrating than measuring and cutting, as one wrong move sent the melamine millimetres off centre and we had to start again. The poor lighting wasn't helping, though I did start the project at 5pm and didn't stop until 9pm, tomorrow I'll be starting much earlier, now that the cutting part is done. Screws in and countersunk. The bottom and one side are now screwed together. I didn't glue the edges, as I may have to take this apart at a later date. I will however be sealing the insides with silkaflex. The sealant costed more than I would have liked, but I couldn't find anything else that was both waterproof and safe for use around animals. Will update tomorrow after the project has progressed.