First Feeding Day - Stimmie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleButterfly

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Today is my first feeding day for my 9 month old stimmie. He is my first snake and I got him a couple days ago. He has reacted really well to handling so far. Any tips for feed him.

put it in a zip lock bag and put the zip lock bag in warm water is what i do. just dangle it in front of his face and dont flinch (yank him along) when he grabs it

if you got him a few days ago, i would untill 7days after you have had him before feeding / handling to settle in to a new environment

put it in a zip lock bag and put the zip lock bag in warm water is what i do. just dangle it in front of his face and dont flinch (yank him along) when he grabs it

if you got him a few days ago, i would untill 7days after you have had him before feeding / handling to settle in to a new environment

The breeder I got him from has sent us the feeding sheet and his last feed was last week wednesday. He has settled in very well and The breeder said I should feed him.

Yep, some snakes will eat right away (got a SWC the other week that ate right on day 2 in it's new environment). Others will need some time to settle in, so don't feel disheartened if it does not eat right away for you.

I might also suggest getting some tweezers for feeding if you haven't already. Whilst Stimmies tend to be docile, they are not always the smartest when it comes to striking the correct item.

Ive heard that scenting it with tuna juice or egg will help picky eaters, is this true.
Yep I have tweezers for it.

To be honest I wouldn't go down the rabbit hole of scenting mice. Your Stimmie has a history of eating, no point making things overly complicated.

Simply defrost your mice in warm water as suggested above (do not microwave or boil). Feel the abdomen of the mouse to ensure there are no "cold" bits left - in fact you want the mouse to feel warm to the touch.
Once satisfied simply offer with tweezers - You may or may not need to shake it slightly. Some fussy eaters can be tempted to eat by "braining" the mouse. You may not need to, but if you do it simply involves pushing a knife or razor into the head of the mouse to get some brain matter exposed. You are not paying for scenting and it is extremely quick to do, if a little messy on occasion. Something about the smell can get some snakes going.

Still, if it doesn't eat for you on the first shot just give it a week and try again later. S/he'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back