First hatchling, tips on creating thermal gradient.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marcus0002

Hi all
I bought a bhp hatchling on new years eve.
I have got him in a plastic tub, 1/3 of which is over a ceramic tile on top of a heat matt hooked to a thermostat set to 35c
As you can see in the bottom left of the second image it is next to an open winder that has a scuruty screen fitted and the vertical blinds closed.
Hi9WyCs.jpg

C6pTzf7.jpg

Temps in pine rivers area Brisbane are around 30c+ at the moment.
The entire inside of the tub according to my laser gun is around 30-31c.
Ideally should be 27c cool end 35c hot end for a bhp? My other snakes are 27/32.

The snake seems fine, he is in a different hide every morning so there must be some sort of temp difference in there.

Is there much I can do to get a better gradient in this heat or am I best just leaving it and making sure it doesn't get above 35?
Unsure of the wattage on the heat matt but its 290mmx300mm under a 400mmx400mm ceramic tile.

One idea I did have was get a smaller heat matt and tile and place inside the tub?

Other thing I have noticed is I don't seem to have much of a gradient in any of my other enclosure during this heat.
3 of my snakes are still eating but. My spotty is hungrier than usual.

Can I ask is there any ventilation??? I can't see any holes in the tub........I think I can see a few small ones along the top.......but I suspect it may not be enough....

I could imagine it would be pretty humid in there especially with a water bowl.

You could always try moving the tub to a cooler part of the house. Is there any ventilation in the tub itself?

You could place the tub in the bathroom on the floor or turn the heat off in the morning of expected hot days if you are worried but in my opinion and limited experience it will be fine to have a few hours of slightly above temperatures. Saying that my brother in law went away for a week and didn't want me to check on his snakes and came home this morning to one dead snake that had overheated on a heat mat without a thermostat.

yea there is not many holes in the top. I'll drill a heap more.
I just checked the temps, its up to 35 in there now.
Ive taken it off the heat matt and will put him in the kitchen cupboard next to my home brew fermenter, coolest part of the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tub ventilation..jpg

I'll knock up a word doco of how the holes were to be placed and edit this post, I was told by a reputable breeder this would enable adequate ventilation.

How bit is your hatchy? Age wise? The 30-32 litre Starmaid tubs r the ideal hatchy tub.

Last edited:
more ventilation on the cool side of the tub and the on the lid on the cool side. that should help a lot

View attachment 303351

I'll knock up a word doco of how the holes were to be placed and edit this post, I was told by a reputable breeder this would enable adequate ventilation.

How bit is your hatchy? Age wise? The 30-32 litre Starmaid tubs r the ideal hatchy tub.

He hatched on 13th November.
Here is a picture of him on my hand for size comparison
M4JeKo2.jpg

I was just did this. What do you think? Should I put some on the tub too?
vG6uWlU.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just keep an eye on that. It might be ok but given heat rises it may dissipate quickly. However given your climate it might be ok.

I am in Melbourne so hence the reason why I did mine the way I did.

Just keep an eye on that. It might be ok but given heat rises it may dissipate quickly. However given your climate it might be ok.

I am in Melbourne so hence the reason why I did mine the way I did.

Yea its a bit warmer up here mate. I kid you not even the wind is hot, just like a fan heater.
I have put him in the cupboard, its averaging the low 30's in there. I have my beer fermenter sitting in a chilly bag with ice packs floating around it so its keeping the cupboard cool.

Is that a wound or skin tear that I can see in the photo? How did that happen?

Octane

No idea I think its a bit of fluf or something I'm holding him right now and there is nothing there

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

2y4avama.jpg

Just took that one now

Ended up moving him into an enclosure. It's a bit big for him but it's got lots of hides and he's moving around in it.
At least now I'm not so worried about him cooking.
my5ysuhu.jpg
6uny3aza.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back