First herping trip

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

viciousred

Reaction score
Also my first time bush walking alone, had an awesome time tho, although I'm going to be bloody sore in the morning lol
Had my first ever encounter with a wild snake and it just happened to be a gorgeous eastern brown (i think) crappy photos but i found him in a bit of a tight spot on the trail and was trying not to fall off the edge and take photos at the same time, he was flattening his throat at me but just casually moving away, at a 45 degree angle to my face and having zip experience with elapid's i kept my distance to a certain extant.
It was so beautiful, i think I'm in love :)
Also saw a few skinks, crabs and what I think was a lia bird but it was black.... Either way, fell in love with snakes all over again, its rather awesome seeing them in the wild. Kinda humbling too, you get that rush of omg its a snake yay! and then your just wow, and everything kind of goes quiet....that sounds incredibly silly. But it is what it is... now for a hot bath!!

Attachments

• 130920112541.jpg
    130920112541.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 210
  • 130920112540.jpg
    130920112540.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 130920112516.jpg
    130920112516.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 195
  • 130920112523.jpg
    130920112523.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 130920112534.jpg
    130920112534.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 146
Where did you go?

Nice pictures, and I know what you mean, it's fantastic rounding a corner on a trail and stumbling across a nice big elapid :)

Kuring Gai Chase National park :) And the photos were taken with my phone, if only i had it set on shutter mode!! hind sight is a wonderful thing... Will definitely be out herping more tho!
I think he was maybe 5 feet? hard to tell as he was never straight, nice and fat tho that's for sure, only saw him for about 2 mins before he disappeared up the hill

i hate you! I have been out 2- 3 times each week for the past month and still have not found my first snake. Lots of dragons and skinks but no snake. Congrats on your find and i hope you find more.

Either way, fell in love with snakes all over again, its rather awesome seeing them in the wild. Kinda humbling too, you get that rush of omg its a snake yay! and then your just wow, and everything kind of goes quiet....that sounds incredibly silly. But it is what it is... now for a hot bath!!

Love it, doesn't sound silly at all.
When I first started herping all I wanted to see was Elapids but as I started learning more about the smaller skinks ETC my interests in herps expanded. Now I get the same feeling as you describe when I spot anything that I can't ID immediately.

As a final note, especially when your alone keep pressure bandages handy and know how to apply them. Remember no photo is worth a bite!!!

lol my bag had 3 different types of bandages, super sticky bandage, band aids, a compos, a torch, a swis army knife, my every day flick knife plus half a medicine cabinet :) My husband so to speak directed me as to what i should take considering i was going bush alone and i added a few bits and bobs. Can't wait to go again, hoping to see a dragon next time too :D

Oh and a 1.5 litre bottle of water... THAT was annoying although it was invaluble on the trip back up, had to stop every half an hour for a drink and to rest my legs. climbing a bitch when your out of shape :p

I went herping for the first time today too and seen nothing but garden skinks and little sparrow like birds :( very lucky

It might have been said already, or you might know, but I just wanted to let you know the skinks pictured are Eulamprus quoyii Eastern Water Skinks.

Nice pics of the skinks, getting out and about to see herps is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back