1. Hi there Guest, thanks for visiting the site. Due to changes in circumstances, finances and having run this page for several years, Aussie Pythons and Snakes will be shut down on August 1st. If you or anyone you know would be interested in owning and running one of Australias Longest running Pythons and Snakes forums then please get in touch with Stuart via PM. Thank you for your support over years and please know that this decision has not been made lightly. Regards, Stuart

First loss ... a GTP .... Dam that's painful !

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by Paintedpythons, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blinky

Blinky Not so new Member

Don't worry mate no need too defend yourself over the internet. Sorry for your loss.

2. Hamalicious

Hamalicious Well-Known Member

I understand it's hard but experience is gained in stages. Start by owning snakes and learning about their care requirements, diseases, illnesses, natural conditions they come from and everything else you could possibly learn. Perfect these things for a few years before you even consider breeding, especially breeding GTPs.

I got my first snakes (pair of MD's) when i was 8 years old, i'm now 22 and i have just bought my first pair of snakes which i intend to keep and learn about so that i can pair them next season. There is no reason to rush in a hobby like this, the most important thing is the welfare of the animals and that comes from research. IMO it is much better to find experienced people in the hobby to learn from and then get involved in the forums as well, don't rely on strangers in a forum to give you facts.

3. syxxx

syxxx Not so new Member

Hello Painted Python, I can see your heart is in the right place but as others have said you need to get experience in stages, just because you breed a snake does not make you more experienced than another keeper who does not breed. The key to keeping any animal is being able to interpret what they are telling you with their behavior. Womas are great snakes to breed and are really easy, having said that it took me three clutches to work out the correct humidity for the eggs to get a 100% hatch rate and forget hydrometers it is only by watching the eggs that you can tell if the humidity is correct. Long story short don't bite off more than you can chew because the outcome will not be pleasant. Good luck with the Womas and if you need any help send me a msg.
    Cheers

4. Paintedpythons

Paintedpythons Subscriber Subscriber

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.