First pet snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get bitten by a large goanna and a hatchling carpet python will simply be child's play.
Even a small Goanna! Had my Flavi try to eat my hands through gloves yesterday. They thrash around too if they get hold of you.

My rules of snake handling are not to handle for a few days after a feed or when in slough, I handle my Roughie maybe once a week and for no longer than ten minutes at a time. My sons Coastal is very small and doesn't get handled much as he just thinks everything is going to eat him and I'd rather not stress him out too much. So for him it's mainly just when cleaning his enclosure.

i've heard even ackie bites can hurt a lot, or maybe that's just the shock of a stronger bite than may be expected? i've never been bitten by one, so i wouldn't know....either way, that's a beautiful python! wish i could have one.

Thats how mine is acting the majority of the time.. Do you suggest still picking it up to let it know I'm friendly? Or just let it calm down and get used to its new surroundings?

Perhaps more of a larger hide with only one opening (I used a coffee container lid with a hole cut out of side)

Also what is your heating method and where is it?

Unfortunately some snakes just love to nip! The bites are definitely defensive, I think the fact you hover over her for a while while she doesn't have much hide helps,

Just a few tips,

Use paper towel or newspaper on the base(if she wants to she will hide underneath)

Also let her settle in! Everything new to her, keep interaction to a minimum for a week or so..

Just realised this vid wasn't post creator! But still take the msg :p

@Kichie As kitty said it def isn't a jaguar, I hate to say it but sounds like you paid for more than you got :(

Ask the breeder for pics of mum and dad or ask if you can see, if they refuse, it could be kind of dodgy as they could say it's a jag morph but it's really just coastal x coastal
Ya i'm getting his proper enclosure built at the moment so I've got him in a small temp one which has things for him to hide in. Heating method is a heat lamp and also sun exposure during the day. I only paid $60 for the actual snake its self as I got it from a family friend... Maybe I miss heard him and though he meant mine was a jag.. Just googled a jag python and I know he does have one of those. I'll ask him again when I see him what mine is :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I would try not to stress it out too much. I'm trying to handle mine for very short periods, usually while cleaning the tub out. It needs to feel safe and secure in its environment because at that size in the wild everything wants to eat it lol so I recommend slow, steady, gentle movement with purpose. Try not to come down over the top like a predator would.

I have seen some people recommend gently touching the snake on its side with a hook before trying to pick it up so it knows the routine and isn't frightened by a hand swooping in. Good luck, I hope it settles for you.

Ya I usually just sit my hand next to his body and stroke him gently just to get used to my sent and knowing i'm friendly. Will keep you guys updated! So far so good though :)

Ya i'm getting his proper enclosure built at the moment so I've got him in a small temp one which has things for him to hide in. Heating method is a heat lamp and also sun exposure during the day. I only paid $60 for the actual snake its self as I got it from a family friend... Maybe I miss heard him and though he meant mine was a jag.. Just googled a jag python and I know he does have one of those. I'll ask him again when I see him what mine is :p
I realised I sent the post to the wrong person, the guy who sent vid hehe

And it happens my breeder said albino bredli but apparently they don't exist so either he got mixed up with saying bredli/Darwin or it is a hybrid :)

And goodjob so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back