First Scorpion!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacknife

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just thought I'd share my new purchase - a baby Flinders Ranges Scorpion.
He's in his little sauce container for now as I have work in an hour or so, but tomorrow I'm off to get some pebbles, sand and coir peat to set up a false bottom style system, a few rocks and a cactus or two and set him up in a big fish bowl I have sitting around.

From what I hear they're pretty hardy and bomb proof, gonna set him all up in a room with a constant temp of around 22-25c and feed him once or twice a week on crickets, but just want to know if there are any other specifics I might be missing in giving this dude a sweet life. Any advice or help would be awesome.

Gonna enjoy watching this guy grow!

Cheers guys!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2632gh.jpg
    IMG_2632gh.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Wow he's awesome! What a cool looking little dude 8) Enjoy!
Sorry I can't help with any scorpion information :p

hey mate, he is awesome and an awesome starting invertebrate! you sound like you have got it all figured out just make sure you make things in the enclosure sturdy as a rock rolling onto your scorp is not good. also when using coir peat make sure it isn't to wet, you should hand squeeze it. There is a few really smart invertebrate keepers on this forum, just thought i would chuck in my 2 cents.

hey mate, he is awesome and an awesome starting invertebrate! you sound like you have got it all figured out just make sure you make things in the enclosure sturdy as a rock rolling onto your scorp is not good. also when using coir peat make sure it isn't to wet, you should hand squeeze it. There is a few really smart invertebrate keepers on this forum, just thought i would chuck in my 2 cents.

Yeah cheers!
Using the false bottom method creates a moisture gradient in the sustrate, with it being more moist the lower you go, this way the scorpion can self regulate it's moisture and humidity levels based on how deep it burrows. Very similar to how natural soil maintains its moisture - I figure this would be the easiest and by far best way to try and replicate a natural habitat...

And yeah gonna make sure the decor is nice and secure...

Yeah cheers!
Using the false bottom method creates a moisture gradient in the sustrate, with it being more moist the lower you go, this way the scorpion can self regulate it's moisture and humidity levels based on how deep it burrows. Very similar to how natural soil maintains its moisture - I figure this would be the easiest and by far best way to try and replicate a natural habitat...

And yeah gonna make sure the decor is nice and secure...

i should of just said nice scorp, you know what you are doing mate :)

Even though they're pretty hardy, The bubs have a tendency to die on you so don't be discouraged if it happens.

Even if you kept 10 babies the same, some would die and you'd have no idea why.

Just keep at it if it happens and enjoy keeping them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back