First Snake any tips?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You said ignore... but i agree with scrutinizing advice from every person on this forum.. I havent come across any aggressive people on this forum as of yet..
Without taking sides in your discussion on experience, stick around on here long enough; you'll see the aggression as soon as someone posts something that someone else doesn't agree with. And it's not necessarily anything wrong, in this hobby there are a lot of opinions, and this can cause some people some angst.
Having said that, the mods are doing a pretty good job lately, deleting any posts/threads before things get out of hand.

- - - Updated - - -

And regardless of when someone has joined a forum, it is the truly "experienced" keeper that listens to others' stories, and methods of doing things. There is always something new to learn.
One last note to the OP: don't mistake number of posts for experience either.

My advice would to be ignore any advice given here from members that joined after 2010 and scrutinise all advice from members pre 2010.
There's some very experienced keepers here. But it takes time to work out who they are :)

Alot of people have been around snakes a long time and have only just recently join so that's not entirely true. The best way for anyone to learn is first hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Without taking sides in your discussion on experience, stick around on here long enough; you'll see the aggression as soon as someone posts something that someone else doesn't agree with. And it's not necessarily anything wrong, in this hobby there are a lot of opinions, and this can cause some people some angst.
Having said that, the mods are doing a pretty good job lately, deleting any posts/threads before things get out of hand.

- - - Updated - - -

And regardless of when someone has joined a forum, it is the truly "experienced" keeper that listens to others' stories, and methods of doing things. There is always something new to learn.
One last note to the OP: don't mistake number of posts for experience either.

My name is beans and I approve this message.

- - - Updated - - -

@stusnake

In regard to handling I have had my snake in his enclosure to settle for the last 6 days since I got him. Should I give him a feed first then handle in a further two days or handle then fees tonight or tomorrow. Also as I a little worried about my first bite I kind of want it to happen so I can begin to learn to deal with it as it is just another part of the hobby.

I'd feed him first wait 2 days then handle him, snakes are usually more docile after feeding cause they have a full tummy. Just make sure when you do go to handle him that the lump of food in his belly isn't visible. Reason for this is because he wont upchuck his dinner. Remember to keep the handling session short and sweet, and make sure its a positive experience for him. If he bites you or anything don't put him back right away as he could learn that biting gets him back into his safe warmy house. :)

[MENTION=38897]Beans[/MENTION]
That's pretty much what I thought. I get hell grumpy when I'm hungry so I can understand lol

He's going great. First feed done and handled him a little as well yesterday (still not overly confident). I only had pinkie rats and he smashed em like skittles lol got some bigger stuff for his next feed but yeah he is getting use to his home nicely.

I was reading your post about the Stimmie you got. My enclosure is also in the lounge room and it seemed my snake was a little freaked at first but now he is use to us walking past the cage he is fine. (As you know I'm no expert but that's my personal observation). He is getting out of his hides and climbing etc where as before he would just poke his head out and stay hidden. Seems like I worried about him settling in a lil too much lol but I just want the best for the lil dude! :)

Awwww I'm glad to hear he's settling well. I've still yet to feed my lil guy, only had him like 2 days so I will offer a feed on friday and see how he goes. I can't wait to see some pics of your new baby!

Over the next week I will start to handle more. I'm pretty sure he is a very nice temperament but my lack of confidence is preventing his first glamour shoot hahaha. I'm just gonna have to suck it up so I can start showing him off lol :)

I hated the first few days as I wanted to try to handle him and watch him feed or climb etc. Its like getting given the best Christmas present ever in January, but having to wait til December to open it hahaha

Last edited:
I feel you pain lol, fortunately for me tho its Christmas! As much as I want to say the week will fly by, if its anything like the week I had (staring at my lil boy for hours on end) it will feel like ages lol.

Urgh I know!

I just wanna..... stroke him a lil bit. BUT NO! MUST WAIT

Little Houdini is starting to handle quiet well and both him and I are beginning to grow more confident in each others presence. He is a nice well mannered young chap lol and never seems to want to strike. I love him :)

He is a lil fatty tho coz he ate yesterday
2dd3ac09bd5de2f2bfe7b2c1b8ad3a78.jpg

Awwww look at him! He's adorable!!!

I'm really glad to hear you're getting more confident. Theres nothing better than a well mannered little snake, makes first snake ownership so easy.

Thanks for sharing :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back