First Snake any tips?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuyAdam

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have just bought a Coastal Carpet Python (named Houdini) and was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction to get some more info on these. Books rather than websites or forums. I have read everything I can find in the internet but still don't feel I know as much as I should. This is my first snake so I want as much info as I can get!!

I origanlly was planning to get a Stimpson and have done plenty of research on them but once I saw my little guy I loved his markings so much I had to have him!

He is only about 5-7months old think its closer to 7months, but being young I want to make sure he is well looked after from the start.

If anyone out there that owns Coastals has any tips or any books to recommend it would be much appreciated [emoji3]

Also is a click-clack needed or can I put him in the enclosure he will be housed with heaps of hides for him?

Last edited:
Hey Bud
being a coastal he should be pretty easy to look after... right temps, a hide on the hot and cold end and something to climb on and you will be fine..

yea I have a coastal as my first snake! one of the best! they have such a personality and are very affectionate. just leave it to settle in for the first few days to week and then you can handle it! they are normally really placid as well! i am just saying what mine is like so yea! good luck! have fun!

Thanks guys! Much appreciated :)

My temps are running well and he has lots of hides so I'm sure he is fine. He seems quiet relaxed but I can tell he is not 100% comfortable just yet. Just playing the waiting game until I can handle him (which may be good for both of us as this is my first snake I'm a lil unsure of handling).

Once again thanks guys!

Exactly why I called him Houdini - if he escapes it will be pure magic! I have read a lot of things saying they are escape artists and definitely prepared for that! :)

Along with making sure his temps are all good, and he has plenty of hides. When you do go to handle him wake him up first, so just touch him gently to let him know you are there, then its just a matter of sliding your hand under him and lifting him out. For the first week or two, keep handling sessions to about 5 minutes so that he can gradually get used to being handled. And make sure to make these sessions as positive, happy and as stress free as you can make it. Of course let him go through the week settling period.

As for enclosure, click clacks are the most favored mainly because they are a breeze to clean, super easy to heat and they are really cheap. That and you can add branches and perches where YOU want them with ease.
And hatch-ling and adult snakes alive thrive really well in these too they are also easy to make escape proof. That being said having a large standard enclosure is absolutely fine for a hatch-ling just be sure to make it so there are LOTS of hides so that he feels nice and safe. If it has the sliding glass doors be careful as they can get out of the gap between the two panels. It doesn't look like they can..... but they can. So just stuff a bit of cardboard or folded paper between the glass so he can't slide it open, or just get a lock.

With feeding food. That's easy.. just put the food into hot TAP water. Don't leave it over night or anything as it can grow bacteria. And we don't want to risk it...so hot tap water is the way to go!

Good luck with your little guy, post some pics when hes all settled!

Last edited by a moderator:
Beans thanks for the info. Exactly the kind of reply I was looking for lol :)
So helpful!!!

By not being.

Thats about as far as affectionate goes.

Haha yeah my thoughts exactly Beans. I think the word tolerant is better suited to snakes than affectionate.

Last edited by a moderator:
well my snake is. she snuggles up and as soon as I open the cage she climbs into my arms etc. but yea maybe affectionate is not the best word to use

Join a herp society and meet other people who have a similar interest. Ignore 95% of the advice you are usually given on forums though so far its been good.

I'm looking to track one down that is kind of close. I think I have found one but need to contact them.
There is one in the Hawkesbury area, if anyone knows someone or is apart of this certain one would I like to come check it out. Please let me know :)

Also as to the info everyone seems to have different ways or opinions on doing thing. I'm more looking for facts about the species, behaviours, signs of ill health etc as well as things mostly personal experiences can only teach so I have enough knowledge to not be so newbish lol :)

I'm no expert but another tip i got given that really worked for me is when you are first handling him there is a pretty good chance you will cop a few bites and i was told to keep him out until he seems to calm down... i guess that kind of shows them that you're not hurting them and biting doesn't really bother us.. have you been bitten yet lol its always scary the first time

[MENTION=40512]Alexbee[/MENTION] - haven't been bitten yet (first snake and have only owned him 3 days - he is relaxing and adjusting to his new house a bit before I get him out again) and to be honest I worried about my reaction when I do. Not the pain but the shock, i don't want to end up throwing him or something if I do panic. I'm not as comfortable as I thought I would be handling him. When i moved him into an enclosure when I got him i tried to briefly handle him but got a lil flustered lol. It makes sense to just keep him out if he was to bite. Like you said it will adjust his behaviour otherwise. He would learn bite = back in the cage/back to safety
Thanks for the tip!!

Handling is easy.. you kind of just let him flow through your hands making sure not to really hold onto him just more supporting the body.. and just make sure nothing looks threatening to him so now fast movements towards his head.. Its funny when you're waiting for that first bite freaking out a bit.. at the end of the day its a snake that is biting you haha that's not normally a good thing.. but it doesnt hurt at all.. you could blink and miss it.. once you have been bitten once all fear will be gone i assure you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back