First Snake: Carpet Python Vs Spotted/children's Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a bit obvious that I'm slightly biased, but I think for a first snake you can't beat a Spotted. They're docile, easy to keep, don't require massive enclosures, rarely refuse food... the list goes on :). Also, spotteds are the largest Antaresia and in my experience they do usually get larger than a metre quite readily (without power feeding), more like 1.2m depending on the individual. I've had a female since hatchie age (when they're more like worms than snakes :p), and within the two years she's already gotten to 1 metre and eating Weaner (small) rats without trouble. She's 350g and taking on more length and weight. This means they are large enough to be impressive yet small enough to be manageable. However, if you want to go the Carpet path, go with a Murray Darling. They're definitely the least troublesome of the Morelia Spilotas, though not the flashiest. Jungles are smaller, but will probably rip your face! :D
Thank you very much for your great help, I have decided and will definitely be getting a spotted python. You have clarified everything and been a fantastic help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back