First snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakey2477

Reaction score
hi everyone I am getting my first snake I have done some research and was really interested in the children’s python I have my reptile licence and have purchased a small click clack container, tongs, a hide but I have a few questions
1. What would be the best heat mat to use with a thermostat eg watt and brand
2. How do I set the heat mat under the click clack eg some have suggested under a tile and only to cover half the cage
3. Would I need a heat lamp as well as the heat mat

I recommend a reptile one 7w heat mat if your going to use a thermostat pulse proportional will be needed. I wouldn’t use a thermostat just read the instructions to the mat stick on the spacers provided and your good to go. If it’s too hot during the day reduce the heating area to 1/4.
[doublepost=1528009623,1528008909][/doublepost]Even a 5w reptile one mat may be sufficient. I’ve never used one so not sure.

I was using a 5w reptile mat with a built in dial thermostat, and was easily reaching 40+ if i let it, but i set it to 35~ and was holding that temp almost 24/7
i just placed it underneath the container with the reader inside the tank on the floor, under the hide.

NO! you dont need a heat lamp AND a mat (except in a few situations, but def not this one)

tip: use paper substrate, whether its paper towel or newspaper, makes cleaning it a breeze :p

There you go a built in dial would be perfect.

There you go a built in dial would be perfect.
i just dont think they make the one i used anymore, it had numbers and everything... the 7W one i have current just says "on" one end of dial and "off" on other.

edit: it was a reptapets 5w - 15x14

unfortunately it seems they've gone to cutting costs and using generic heat mats now

Last edited:
I have run 7w reptile ones flat out during winter but in a cb70 not a clickclack. I turned them off during day as ambient climbed they could reach 38 degree 40 possibly. I also use substrate critters crumble breeders choice and newspaper and paper towel. But if you read the instructions to the 7w it says they have a thermal cutoff and can be used without thermostat but perhaps an overkill for a click clack depending on ambient temps so sorry.

I have run 7w reptile ones flat out during winter but in a cb70 not a clickclack. I turned them off during day as ambient climbed they could reach 38 degree 40 possibly. I also use substrate critters crumble breeders choice and newspaper and paper towel. But if you read the instructions to the 7w it says they have a thermal cutoff and can be used without thermostat but perhaps an overkill for a click clack depending on ambient temps so sorry.
the thermal cut off points seem like a gimmick.. by the time its hit that (in my mat its 50c), how long has it been climbing at 40+

That’s what I’m thinking even though they worked perfect and the snakes in my cb70 utilised them the whole time and grew fast. I will be using a pulse thermostat this time so i can leave them on 24/7. But I do think reptile one were in no wrong saying that with commonsense.
[doublepost=1528012781,1528012473][/doublepost]In fact most reading taken from inside the tub were 30-34 so thermal cutoff had me going. Temps never hit or exceeded 40 inside the tub. I don’t use them in summer.
[doublepost=1528013008][/doublepost]I was more paranoid bout fire to be honest in summer from a heat mat failing. But never happened

I recommend a reptile one 7w heat mat if your going to use a thermostat pulse proportional will be needed. I wouldn’t use a thermostat just read the instructions to the mat stick on the spacers provided and your good to go. If it’s too hot during the day reduce the heating area to 1/4.
Thank you how much
[doublepost=1528009623,1528008909][/doublepost]Even a 5w reptile one mat may be sufficient. I’ve never used one so not sure.
thank you
I was using a 5w reptile mat with a built in dial thermostat, and was easily reaching 40+ if i let it, but i set it to 35~ and was holding that temp almost 24/7
i just placed it underneath the container with the reader inside the tank on the floor, under the hide.

NO! you dont need a heat lamp AND a mat (except in a few situations, but def not this one)

tip: use paper substrate, whether its paper towel or newspaper, makes cleaning it a breeze :p
hi what heat mat did u have thank u
[doublepost=1528013962][/doublepost]

Just wondering did u place the heat mat under a tile or just right under the click clack

Thank you how much

thank you

hi what heat mat did u have thank u
[doublepost=1528013962][/doublepost]
Just wondering did u place the heat mat under a tile or just right under the click clack
I had the heat mat on top of a sheet of styrofoam (allows some airflow) which I would recommend but have also used a tea towel, to stop it from potentially leaving burn marks on the wood.

Then I sat the tub over that.

I suppose it comes down to whether the tub has “feet” or not

My mats come with with stick on feet to allow for gap between container and mat. Under no circumstances would I be placing a heat mat on styro. Wood or tile yes. I retract my comments on not using a thermostat. Alway use one 130 bucks 7w reptile one heat mat 30

My mats come with with stick on feet to allow for gap between container and mat. Under no circumstances would I be placing a heat mat on styro. Wood or tile yes. I retract my comments on not using a thermostat. Alway use one 130 bucks 7w reptile one heat mat 30
I never had any problems, no burn marks or anything
[doublepost=1528015073,1528014912][/doublepost]In saying that, I’ve seen other people say they use it fine and others say it’s fine without, so it’s rwally up to you
[doublepost=1528015157][/doublepost]Also @Snakey2477, is your click clack safe to use around heat? Most likely it is, but it’s something to be aware of, as it can cause the plastic to melt and fumes to come up

I use a reptile one 5w mat and a dial thermostat. I also have a separate digitial thermometer and I have both probes under substrate inside the tank where I want the warmest place to be. Monitored it for a day or two before putting hatchie in and it's been running perfectly ever since. You can tape the heat mat onto the bottom of your click clack, I cover only 1/3 of the bottom with the heat mat. Use spacers for feet on the bottom of the click clack so you have airflow between the bench/table you are putting it on and the click clack itself.
I always use separate thermometer as probes and temps on thermostats always seem to be out. Years of raising orphaned furless wildlife taught me that :)

I use a reptile one 5w mat and a dial thermostat. I also have a separate digitial thermometer and I have both probes under substrate inside the tank where I want the warmest place to be. Monitored it for a day or two before putting hatchie in and it's been running perfectly ever since. You can tape the heat mat onto the bottom of your click clack, I cover only 1/3 of the bottom with the heat mat. Use spacers for feet on the bottom of the click clack so you have airflow between the bench/table you are putting it on and the click clack itself.
I always use separate thermometer as probes and temps on thermostats always seem to be out. Years of raising orphaned furless wildlife taught me that :)
Hi I was just wondering if it was ok to tape the heat map to the click clack if it was plastic or should I purchase a glass tank.

No you place the click clack on the heat mat. A quality click clack sestima or storemate from the supermarket are fine on heatmats. Never came across any that won’t. Glass don’t hold heat.

My click clack was definitely better than my glass tank, make sure you have holes drilled around the top going all the way around thru the sides

Very small holes for a children’s hatchling. I use a small diameter soldering iron.

@Bl69aze i was going to do an experiment with a spare 7w reptile one I got of eBay but it doesn’t have an Australian plug on it and it has a dial on it. Devastated bummer.
Anyway no more advice from me on the forum.

Hi I was just wondering if it was ok to tape the heat map to the click clack if it was plastic or should I purchase a glass tank.
You can use the heat mat with the click clack, I use some heavy duty tape and just tape it to the bottom of the click clack and use the spacers that they give you with the heat mat and put one on each corner to raise the click clack up so you have your gap for ventilation.

Purpose of taping the heat mat click clack?. I’m just wondering, it is plugged into the wall after all. The click clack will need cleaning the heat mat should not be sumerced in water.

I had the heat mat on top of a sheet of styrofoam (allows some airflow) which I would recommend but have also used a tea towel, to stop it from potentially leaving burn marks on the wood. ….
Polystyrene foam has a flash point in excess of 300 degrees Celsius, and begin to break down, similar to melting, when it reaches around 240 degrees. So I don’t think you need worry about the tea towel.

….is your click clack safe to use around heat? Most likely it is, but it’s something to be aware of, as it can cause the plastic to melt and fumes to come up
Most commonly used plastics have melting points well above 100 degrees. Containers are mostly made of these so they can withstand scalding with boiling water without deforming. A few food containers are made of PVC, which has a melting point around 75 degrees and can give off some noxious fumes when excessively heated. These are deformed by boiling water, but can withstand hot water from the tap (max of 60 degrees). So if your click clack is not deformed by boiling water, then it will fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back