First Snake!

Discussion in 'Newbies forum' started by Dvisy, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Dvisy

Dvisy New Member

Hi everyone!

I have been researching about getting my first snake for a while now and it's finally going to happen! I am still debating what type to get though. I've been looking at childrens and stimsons pythons but people have been telling me snakes such as the darwin carpet python are easier to look after. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of any breeders around the south-east Brisbane area that would also be great.

Thank you!

2. Neil j

Neil j Active Member

Hi, I love carpet python morphs, I also have a couple of children’s python morphs. A water python and a rough scale python. I’m not going to tell you what you should get. Most are great. One soon turns into five in my experience. Plenty of great breeders down you way and plenty of stuff available. Enjoy

Books
    Keeping and breeding Australian pythons
    The complete carpet python
    A guide to Australian pythons in captivity

Caging
    Reptile racks Australia
    Or build your own

Classifieds
    Australian reptiles and supplies fb
    Reptile classifieds Australia website
    Gumtree

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Dvisy likes this.
  3. Synveil

Synveil Not so new Member

Dont forget to look at the woma pythons, they are both derpy and amazing looking! Just got my first snake and it's a woma, couldn't be happier with her.

Dvisy and Bl69aze like this.
  4. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

My first snake was a coastal carpet python

Dvisy likes this.
  5. Dvisy

Dvisy New Member

I did look at Womas for a short time! I read somewhere that they are not a good first snake but I'll definitely reconsider! Are you located in the Brisbane area and if so where did you get her. Thank you x
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Nov 2, 2018, Original Post Date: Nov 2, 2018 ---
    Thank you this was very informative! I have read the first book but will be sure to check out the others! I'm planning on building the cages but want to decide what snake to figure out the sizes.
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Nov 2, 2018 ---
    I was looking at them but I'm still unsure on whether to get a smaller snake or a bigger one. x

6. Bl69aze

Bl69aze Very Well-Known Member

From what I can understand, there is no “Good first snake” they can all be bitey

Womas and BHPS are very food oriented

Carpet pythons get big and can be bitey

Antaresia (childrens/stimsons/spotters) can be bitey

Etc

It’s best to get what YOU like

I like scrub pythons (would not recommend a scrubby to any beginner) and will probably get a scrub python one day, even though I’m fully 100% aware they would be able to kill me and are very bitey, but you know what, me myself and I think they are cool and no one can change that :eek: I just need to get a little more experienced with extra large snakes and I’ll be set
    --- Automatic Post Merged, Nov 2, 2018, Original Post Date: Nov 2, 2018 ---
    Get a carpet python that’s young If that’s what you want, and learn as it grows :) that’s what I did, he was about 30cm when I got him, now he’s 7~ft

Tldr; get what YOU want, not what everyone else recommends, especially if it’s something u weren’t planning on originally

Dvisy likes this.
  7. Synveil

Synveil Not so new Member

I'm from Perth sorry. But yeah as mentioned any snake can be nippy, the woma I got is an absolute sweetheart so far, she is VERY food responsive, she definitely knows when something edible has entered her enclosure, but i also see that as a good thing. Means I'm gonna have little to no problems feeding her.

Some woman get cage defensive apparently, cant say I've seen that in mine either. So if you like the idea of a woma as a first, go a woma, if you would rather a stimmy, then get a stimmy. If you want a carpet python get one of those.

Ya get the point, you can grab any snake and it could be nippy it could be a sweetheart, but as a first probably get something on the younger side, will help your confidence grow with the snake.