Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dvisy

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have been researching about getting my first snake for a while now and it's finally going to happen! I am still debating what type to get though. I've been looking at childrens and stimsons pythons but people have been telling me snakes such as the darwin carpet python are easier to look after. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If anyone knows of any breeders around the south-east Brisbane area that would also be great.

Thank you!

Hi, I love carpet python morphs, I also have a couple of children’s python morphs. A water python and a rough scale python. I’m not going to tell you what you should get. Most are great. One soon turns into five in my experience. Plenty of great breeders down you way and plenty of stuff available. Enjoy

Books
Keeping and breeding Australian pythons
The complete carpet python
A guide to Australian pythons in captivity

Caging
Reptile racks Australia
Or build your own

Classifieds
Australian reptiles and supplies fb
Reptile classifieds Australia website
Gumtree

Last edited:
Dont forget to look at the woma pythons, they are both derpy and amazing looking! Just got my first snake and it's a woma, couldn't be happier with her.

My first snake was a coastal carpet python

Dont forget to look at the woma pythons, they are both derpy and amazing looking! Just got my first snake and it's a woma, couldn't be happier with her.
I did look at Womas for a short time! I read somewhere that they are not a good first snake but I'll definitely reconsider! Are you located in the Brisbane area and if so where did you get her. Thank you x
[doublepost=1541137042,1541136936][/doublepost]
Hi, I love carpet python morphs, I also have a couple of children’s python morphs. A water python and a rough scale python. I’m not going to tell you what you should get. Most are great. One soon turns into five in my experience. Plenty of great breeders down you way and plenty of stuff available. Enjoy

Books
Keeping and breeding Australian pythons
The complete carpet python
A guide to Australian pythons in captivity

Caging
Reptile racks Australia
Or build your own

Classifieds
Australian reptiles and supplies fb
Reptile classifieds Australia website
Gumtree

Thank you this was very informative! I have read the first book but will be sure to check out the others! I'm planning on building the cages but want to decide what snake to figure out the sizes.
[doublepost=1541137247][/doublepost]
My first snake was a coastal carpet python
I was looking at them but I'm still unsure on whether to get a smaller snake or a bigger one. x

From what I can understand, there is no “Good first snake” they can all be bitey

Womas and BHPS are very food oriented

Carpet pythons get big and can be bitey

Antaresia (childrens/stimsons/spotters) can be bitey

Etc

It’s best to get what YOU like

I like scrub pythons (would not recommend a scrubby to any beginner) and will probably get a scrub python one day, even though I’m fully 100% aware they would be able to kill me and are very bitey, but you know what, me myself and I think they are cool and no one can change that :eek: I just need to get a little more experienced with extra large snakes and I’ll be set
[doublepost=1541137431,1541137377][/doublepost]
I did look at Womas for a short time! I read somewhere that they are not a good first snake but I'll definitely reconsider! Are you located in the Brisbane area and if so where did you get her. Thank you x
[doublepost=1541137042,1541136936][/doublepost]

Thank you this was very informative! I have read the first book but will be sure to check out the others! I'm planning on building the cages but want to decide what snake to figure out the sizes.
[doublepost=1541137247][/doublepost]
I was looking at them but I'm still unsure on whether to get a smaller snake or a bigger one. x
Get a carpet python that’s young If that’s what you want, and learn as it grows :) that’s what I did, he was about 30cm when I got him, now he’s 7~ft

Tldr; get what YOU want, not what everyone else recommends, especially if it’s something u weren’t planning on originally

I'm from Perth sorry. But yeah as mentioned any snake can be nippy, the woma I got is an absolute sweetheart so far, she is VERY food responsive, she definitely knows when something edible has entered her enclosure, but i also see that as a good thing. Means I'm gonna have little to no problems feeding her.

Some woman get cage defensive apparently, cant say I've seen that in mine either. So if you like the idea of a woma as a first, go a woma, if you would rather a stimmy, then get a stimmy. If you want a carpet python get one of those.

Ya get the point, you can grab any snake and it could be nippy it could be a sweetheart, but as a first probably get something on the younger side, will help your confidence grow with the snake.

If you want a big snake, get a bigger breed of snake, if you want a small snake get a small breed of snake. No point getting a children’s python for ease of owning a snake, when you really want a 2mtr + carpet or such. 20 yrs is a long time to have a snake, might as well get what you really want. I myself have Children’s, I’m a bit older & cant imagine myself getting a large python in & out of its enclosure in 20 yrs time. Great little snakes , but whichever way you go I’d probably start with a hatchie.
[doublepost=1555811985,1555811231][/doublepost]As for local breeders, go to the for sale section, click on the sellers avitar , it’ll tell you where they are from, send them a message, they may have new hatchies coming through or know someone who does, good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back