First-time owner. Accurate temperature readings?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakebort

Reaction score
Hi all,

As of yesterday, I am caring for a 4-mo. old Woma python. She's lovely. I have a small Exo-Terra breeder box set up with a heat mat, two hides, and a MicroClimate B1 thermostat for her. I don't want to keep bothering her for temperature readings but the sensor on the thermostat is in the air right now, and I'm a little afraid of her overheating (or, conversely, not being warm enough as it seemed to take ages to get the warm side of the enclosure anywhere near/above 30C).

I have an infrared thermometer that reads the substrate under the hide as 27C, and used a basic cooking thermometer under a little bit of substrate under the hide that, as of this morning, read 34C -- obviously I turned the thermostat down once I saw that! But I'm not sure exactly how to ensure that she's safe without continually disturbing her for readings, and I want to do that as little as possible for this first week as she settles in.
My plan is to feed her next Sunday, and then wait 48-72 hours and begin short handling sessions. I acquired her from a good breeder so I know her background and she's accustomed to people, but quite stressed and cage defensive at the moment when I change water/check temperature.

Oh: I live close to Sydney at the moment so it's chilly and the house is not insulated at all.

Any advice you might have is welcome.

Here are a couple pics:

snake2.jpg

Snake1.jpg

You want to keep the probe under the hide above the mat if possible or under the substrate above the mate,

no point keeping it suspended :) 34 is fine for a woma python

for my Darwin, I kept the probe tucked in her hide which was above mat (with a paper towel as the substrate) and was getting 100% accurate reading

EDIT: i really love the tub in cardboard box idea :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back