First time owner, handling.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, first time owner here. So I recently got my first snake, a very pretty 14 m/o spotted python called Sasori, and I fed him yesterday so I want to try handling him tomorrow. I've never handled a snake before and while I am looking forward to it I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous. Thus far he hasn't displayed any defensive behaviour but he is very flighty, though now he doesn't immediately book it into his hides whenever I get close. I have a small snake hook but as I said he's quite flighty, I know I need to be slow and calm and I don't want to just grab him if he slithers away. I'm guessing time and familiarity will help him calm down but I am wondering if his flightyness is a sign I should give him some more time to settle? Tomorrow will be a week since I got him so I've stuck to the no handling for at least a week. He shed and ate yesterday no problem so that's a good sign.
Anyway any tips?
So yeah, wait until the snake has passed the food as you don't want to get musked on. He will also need to time settle in. I had to give my spotted python two weeks before handling more than a minute to feed. It'll get better

Don't like using hooks but have come to the conclusion with BHP's at least that its a neccesity, at least with a couple of the larger adults we have.

Is that because of a feeding response? or are some just defensive? I've never had BHP's but I've heard they are quite calm snakes, I handled some on the weekend and even the little one was a good handler. My Woma is fantastic to handle. Is it just that some BHP's have a grumpy personality, the same as carpets where most are awesome, but a couple of them can be bitey?

Is that because of a feeding response? or are some just defensive? I've never had BHP's but I've heard they are quite calm snakes, I handled some on the weekend and even the little one was a good handler. My Woma is fantastic to handle. Is it just that some BHP's have a grumpy personality, the same as carpets where most are awesome, but a couple of them can be bitey?

Feeding response Mick.
When its feeding season they see everything that comes into the enclosure as food (Well a couple of them do)
For the biggest part they are pussy cats till food is out of the freezer but 2 of my big females just assume everything is food until it isn't lol.

Where I work I was cleaning the inside of the bhp (usually puppy dogs)enclosure and I guess it was almost feeding time because they all started trying to bite me and super snappy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back