First time posting.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve64

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

My introduction to snake keeping happened 10 months ago when I went out for an Indian meal and came home with a 7 foot python. It's enclosure wasn't secure, the heat lamp had just blown and there was no lighting so i had to hit the ground running. Since then I have been lurking in the background for ten months getting all the info I needed by reading threads. This is 'Bob' now, I built him a 4x4x2 with lights and heating which is cycled from 30 degrees in the day down to 20 degrees at night using two STC-1000's and a couple of digital timers.

Bob.JPG

Last week while 'just looking' in the local reptile shop I saw something that caught my eye and came home to do some research. We went back later that day to have one held while I got Bob's old enclosure ready.

This is 'Grindell' a Gammon Ranges Python approx a year old.

Grindell.jpg

Now I'm wondering if, as a yearling, I should start cycling his day/night temperatures at around 30c/20c as well? (measured at the centre of the enclosure)

Grindell.jpg

Snakes looking good :)

What you should do is find the location of where the snakes are naturally found and try copying those temps high-low (not perfectly, but it will give u a rough idea)

I believe most people don’t start day/night cycles untill 1-2years old

I.e for my darwin this week, I’ve set the temps to 34high, 23low (night temps) obviously I can’t copy the storm, but the humidity will also rise a bit

A9A1D385-55DB-4107-9D7F-7DCF526F35DC.png

Measurements should be taken at the hottest spot(using a temp gun and thermostat probe)

Last edited:
Thanks for that, might give him another 6 months then before i start dropping his night time temperatures.

Thanks for that, might give him another 6 months then before i start dropping his night time temperatures.
make sure you do it gradually, for example 16hours heating on for a week, then 14 hours, etc etc untill you get to like heating 8am-2/3pm

Like you said, I will watch the weather in that region and as it cools down going into next winter i'll slowly lower his night time temperatures. great feed back, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back