First time snake owner

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robboyobbo

Reaction score
hello everyone, im just seeking out some advice, i have never owned a reptile before and i picked up my first snake yesterday. shes a 2 year old spotted python and i was told by the previous owner that she had a good temperament but hasnt been handled much recently. she was fine when i first held her but since i got her home she has been really moody and tries to strike everytime i go to touch her. just wondering if this is because she needs to settle into a new place or just needs to be handled more often, thanks in advance for advice

Sounds like you haven’t done much research on what it takes when getting a snake (not being rude, sorry if it seems like that :( ) but it seems to be a common practice to just decide people want a snake, go buy one, set it up and think everything is ready to go when unfortunately that’s not the case :(

But you will find on lots of “new to reptile” posts the one thing everyone will bring up is to let the animal settle in to its new surroundings, adjust to all the new smells, you should leave it alone for about a week before feeding or handling :)

Some helpful info to include into your post or in reply to this is:

Heat method and temperature at both ends:

Enclosure information(pics + info are better coz everyone here likes pics :p ):

Pictures of snake or it didn’t happen (after letting her settle in):

Is the enclosure in a low traffic area?:

And that’s it from the top of my head, I’m sure someone will ask for something that I forgot but the more info you can provide the better for us, you and the snake :p

Can’t wait to see the pics

Here is a pic of her, the enclosure is about 100cm in length, 40 in depth and 60 in height, she has a bowl for water, a hide in both the cool and warm side of the enclosure. cool side being around 25 degrees and warm side 30 degrees. she even has a few branches for her to climb on. the enclosure is in my room so its quite a low traffic area. I was somewhat aware of having to let them settle in but i thought seeing as though it was the same enclosure she was in before (as i got the enclosure from the previous owner as well) that it wouldn't need to settle in. At least i know that now for the next time i get one, thank you for your help!!

22688483_1901305786553220_2507304104322349147_n.jpg

Wouldn't you be stressed out and easily triggered after moving house? Same way with snakes... leave it for a week or two and 3 or 4 days after the first feeding, start handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back