Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippieguy97

Reaction score
Hi all, first time snake owner here.
I have a roughly 8 month old Children’s Python, I have had it for around 5 months.
It always handled well and only tagged me once when I scared it.

A few weeks ago I went to pick it up to handled it, but it was around feeding day and it mistook my finger for food and bite my finger and coiled itself around. I freaked and out and jumped on google and good old google suggested to run alittle bit of warm water over its head. So I did this and it released. I don’t know if this was the right thing todo.
I figured it must of been hungry and that’s why. So I became caution on what days I would handle it.

Since then everytime I go to handle it, it will strike and coil itself around my finger.
Any advice on how to reduce this from happening. I havnt handled it as much as I use to due to this and this could by why it keeps thinking I’m food. But any advice on how to reduce it thinking I’m food.

-I do use feeding tongs
-I alway wash my hands before and after handling
-I have made sure I am feeding it the correct size mice

Hi Hippieguy97
I have 3 carpets myself but im sure this would work for a childrens. I always tap on the lid of their enclosures a few times with my finger just hard enough to get their attention about 5 or 10 minutes before i offer food. They soon learned that this means next time the door opens its dinnertime and will wait in anticipation. If i want to change water or access their inclosure for any other reason, i just open it without tapping a never have any problems. Its worth a try. Good luck.

Hi Hippieguy97
I have 3 carpets myself but im sure this would work for a childrens. I always tap on the lid of their enclosures a few times with my finger just hard enough to get their attention about 5 or 10 minutes before i offer food. They soon learned that this means next time the door opens its dinnertime and will wait in anticipation. If i want to change water or access their inclosure for any other reason, i just open it without tapping a never have any problems. Its worth a try. Good luck.
Thank you CF Constrictor, I will definitely give this a go

But any advice on how to reduce it thinking I’m food.
These are some of the methods that I use for food responsive snakes...
-only feed at a particular time such as night
-use a hook to stroke its back before handling so that it knows that its not feeding time
-never handle within a day of feeding
- simply leave the rat in the enclosure rather than offering it on tongs
Hope this helps ?

I always knock before picking mine up too...just to make sure he's awake!

The other thing is, if he's a growing lad, he might need to up his feed? My little Ante (Stimson's - but we can't call them that any more!) has only bitten twice and both times due to food.

I'm sure he'll settle down! They're amazing, lovely pets.

should i keep refering to mine as a stimmie or a childrens?

A Stimson's is a Children's is a python is a snake is a reptile is an animal is a living thing is a thing. You can choose any of these labels, depending on the context and your preference. Stimson's Python is still correct and is the most specific.

Latest posts

Back