First time tagged/bitten

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipewah

Not so new Member
Reaction score
G'day members,

I recently purchased my first snake (Male, possible Caramel definite 100% het Albino carpet phython) and received him on Friday. He (Choc) is only about 40cm long and his head is only about as big as my thumb nail, so he is not very big at all. My daughter and I were both surprised by just how small he was. He looked more like about 60cm from the pictures but neither of us are complaining. My daughter loves him and so do I.

I have held many snakes before but have never been bitten by one. I have had them snap at me but never previously been tagged. Well it didn't take long after initially getting Choc and he got me. It was quite fast and very little pain but I have a bit of fear about being bitten by snakes. I know, "Why oh why would you get a snake?". I am one of those people/sucker for punishment, hahaha.

What really got me was the shock I had when he got me. There was very little pain/almost none but I was very jumpy around him after it. I have read that you need to handle them somewhat regularly early on if you want them to be handled in the future. Now that I think about how little it hurt, I feel like laughing at myself but I was very jumpy around him after it. The thing I am most proud of is that I didn't panic and fling him when he did it, I just remained calm and he calmed down straight after it as well. My daughter had a bit of a laugh and didn't hesitate to handle him even after he tagged me. He didn't even remotely look like he wanted to tag her.

I just thought this would be a good story and I would love to hear about others first experience of being tagged by a snake. I am not embarrassed to say that it really shocked me and I was somewhat frightened of him after that but an not anymore as I know that it isn't really painful and he is only doing it because he is scarred. With a little bit of time I am sure he will understand that neither my daughter or I will do him any harm.

What will be interesting is if he tags my daughter and how she will react. She loves him now but if he gets her she may loose her fascination with him afterwards. Hopefully not. Either way I will keep him as I am already hooked, on owning him just not so keen on him tagging me :)

Mat.

I got tagged yesterday, and it was by my stimson python (I don’t know the age, except maybe around 1-3months?) he’s my first snake and I didn’t realise I should wait at least a week to handle him. So I took him out and showed him to my nan and grandfather, he seemed calm, and then he just attacked. I didn’t feel anything (just like you said) it was just the shock. I flinched, but I tried my hardest to keep my hand still. I managed to get him back into his click clack, and yea just like you I’m still afraid? (The question mark is because I don’t know the feeling, I’m not afraid but I am, if that makes sense.)

I got tagged yesterday, and it was by my stimson python (I don’t know the age, except maybe around 1-3months?) he’s my first snake and I didn’t realise I should wait at least a week to handle him. So I took him out and showed him to my nan and grandfather, he seemed calm, and then he just attacked. I didn’t feel anything (just like you said) it was just the shock. I flinched, but I tried my hardest to keep my hand still. I managed to get him back into his click clack, and yea just like you I’m still afraid? (The question mark is because I don’t know the feeling, I’m not afraid but I am, if that makes sense.)
No one wants to be bitten, but you know what it feels like :) that’s probably what you’re feeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back